A BLAZE that destroyed the roof, bedroom and first floor landing of a house was sparked by an electrical fault.
The fire at the rural property in Llangwm, between Bala and Corwen, was noticed by a neighbour at about 11.20am on Thursday (September 12).
Crews were called when the neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding and noticed smoke coming from the eaves of the house, and in the kitchen. The occupants of the house were out at the time.
Five crews from Bala, Corwen, Llanwst, Ruthin and Llangollen tackled the fire in the roof space by removing roof tiles and using hose reel water jets and beathing apparatus.
The fire is thought to have originated on the ground floor of the property.
A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue said: “The cause was an electrical short circuit in the airing cupboard.
“There was 100 per cent damage to the airing cupboard, the bedroom above, the landing and the roof.
“There was smoke and fire damage to the remainder of the property.
“The last crew returned at about 7pm.”
Mike Hough from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "This incident clearly illustrates the importance of smoke alarms - the sound of the smoke alarm alerted the neighbour who was able to contact the fire and rescue service.
“Without this early detection, is it likely that the damage to this property in a remote and rural location would have been far worse.
"Residents living in rural areas need to be especially vigilant regarding fire safety and ensure they have smoke alarms fitted and a practiced evacuation plan in place.
"Upon discovering a fire, its especially important in a rural property to act quickly - get out, stay out and call 999 immediately.
"Water access in rural or remote areas can be very limited - this was the case at the fire today.
“Crews arrived on scene in good time and worked well to contain the fire - but severe damage was caused to the house.
"It is also vitally important to ensure that the emergency services are able to locate your property - ensure that foliage and hedges have been cut back at the entrance to your home and that your property's name is clearly displayed.
"North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks where a member of the service will come to your home, give fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan, and if necessary, fit new smoke alarms - totally free of charge.
“To register, please call 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk. You can also use your mobile to register at www.freesmokealarm.co.uk," he added.