THE father of a Dee Valley soldier killed in Iraq said being told authorities knew British troops were at increased risk ahead of the deaths felt like “a knife in the heart”.
Six Army Red Caps were murdered when a 400-strong mob descended on a police station in Majar al-Kabir more than 10 years ago.
Red Cap soldier, Tom Keys, 20, from Llanuwchllyn, near Bala, was among those killed.
A retired senior army officer has now come forward, claiming intelligence had been passed on about the increasing danger before the Royal Military Policemen were killed.
Lance Corporal Keys’ father Reg Keys, from Solihull, said: "There seems to have been a cavalier attitude to safety of the men out there.
“The whole ethos seems to have been 'get on with it' without assessing the risks.
“It deflates me and it saddens me, but it also galvanises me to want to find out more of the truth.
“They knew that town was increasingly hostile, yet the word used to us was 'benign'. They said it was a totally unexpected incident.
“It's like a knife in the heart that they knew it was dangerous but never bothered to tell the lads. These six lads were let down by their chain of command.”
Lawyer Simon McKay, acting on behalf of four of the families, has asked the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to investigate the new claims. It is thought the new information was passed to Government lawyers last week.
In a letter to the MoD, Mr McKay said: “We have been made aware from a senior retired army officer who was serving in Iraq at the time of this incident that the authorities had received intelligence prior to the events on June 24, 2003 that there would be an escalation in violent attacks in the Al Majar region.
“The intelligence was of a sensitive nature provided by the general communications officer. It assessed the violence was sponsored by Iranian-backed interests.”
Mr McKay described the whistleblower as “reliable” and the nature of the information “accurate”, and said that he would make a formal statement if he was given assurances he would not be prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act.
The families of four of the soldiers, including L/Cpl Keys, are currently bringing a human rights act claim against the MoD, hoping to trigger a public enquiry.
An MoD spokesman said: “The circumstances of this tragic incident have been extensively investigated and reported on.
“It is impossible to place reliance on information attributed to an unnamed individual. However, if anyone has any new information about the events in question, we would encourage them to submit it to the MoD.
“We are clear that no practical purpose would be served by holding a public inquiry.
“Our thoughts remain with the families of those who lost their lives in this incident and it is a matter of deep regret that the perpetrators of these appalling murders have not been brought to justice.”