ad

Closing school will ‘rip out village’s heart’

Published date: 30 January 2014 |
Published by: Shane Brennan
Read more articles by Shane Brennan


 

CONCERNED parents demonstrated at county hall on Monday to save their village school.

Villagers, parents and pupils were demonstrating against the council decision to close Ysgol Cyffylliog, near Ruthin.

Mother of three, Emma Cleaver, was one of the organisers of the event.

She said: “The school is important to the whole village. Closing it will rip the heart out of the village.”

Following a consultation the cabinet of Denbighshire council voted to close the both Ysgol Cyffylliog and Ysgol Clocaenog in August.

A new school would be run on the existing site with children aged four to seven attending the Cyffylliog site and children aged seven to 11 attending the Clocaenog site.

The council then plans to work on plans on building a new school on a single site in the Clocaenog area.

A number of concerns have been raised by parents about the council’s decision.
Kelly McGregor, mother of Molly, seven, and Jake, four. is concerned about the plan to have one school on two sites.

She said: “The idea of spllitting the children up is a big concern. Jake loves school because he is there with his sister.”

There were also concerns raised about transport in this rural.
“Ysgol Cyffylliog is within walking distance for most parents so when there is snow or ice the school doesn’t have to close,” Kelly added.

Emma Cleaver added:”We are expected to use a one lane road to get the children tot Clocaenog with such a big increase in traffic it can’t be safe.”

Campigners felt that the consultation was flawed as they believed that the council had already made its mind up about what to do with the schools.

Kelly added: “They had already made their minds up to close the school when they started the consultation. Why have a school on two sites? It can’t save any money.

Surely you would keep the same schools in place while you build another school. I really don’t see the new school happening.”

Fellow parent Suzanne Seeley echoed this sentiment.
She said: “The decision had already been made when they started the consultation.

The consultation was just window dressing.”
The campaigners will make their appeal to save the school on Friday.

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

Featured Businesses

View all adverts