A TEENAGER who died suddenly after arriving home from a sleepover made a “big impact” in her 14 years, an inquest heard.

Tesni Lois Edwards, from Llandrillo, had returned to her father Jason Edwards’ home in Llangollen on Sunday, April 21 after staying the night with friends.

She had arranged to be collected by her mother, Dwysan Rowena Edwards.
Mr Edwards and his partner, who had not known Tesni was visiting, were out walking when the teenager arrived.

When her mother got to the house just after noon, she found Tesni collapsed at the foot of the stairs.

At a coroner’s court in Ruthin last week, John Gittins, senior coroner of North Wales East and Central district, said Mr and Mrs Edwards had attempted to resuscitate Tesni before ambulance crews arrived and took over.

Their daughter was taken by ambulance to the Wrexham Maelor Hospital but after a prolonged period of cardiac arrest doctors took the decision to end attempts to resuscitate her.

A post-mortem examination by pathologist Dr Rajiv Shukla from Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool found Tesni, who had otherwise been very healthy, had died because of a previously undiagnosed enlarged heart.

Mr Gittins said “a lot of people tried very very hard to save Tesni” but were “unable to resuscitate her at any point”.

Mrs Edwards told the hearing her daughter had been bright and clever and was doing really well at school.

She said Tesni was “best friends” with her brother Morgan, 12.

She also adored her one-year-old brother Finlay.

Tesni, a Ysgol Dinas Bran student, loved Harry Potter and Doctor Who and was an avid reader who loved writing and Mrs Edwards said the family had discovered pieces of her daughter’s writing since her death.

The teenager had hoped to be a journalist, Mrs Edwards said, but had also thought she might be “the next J K Rowling”.

When Tesni was dropped off at her father’s house on the day she died, a friend said she had been “laughing and joking and giggling”, Mrs Edwards said at the inquest.

Mr Gittins said it was “very very clear” the teenager had made a big impact in her 14 years.

Her family had a lot to be proud of, he said.

A conclusion of death by natural causes was recorded.