A WORKSHOP building used by Llangollen Railway has been completely destroyed by fire.

The eight metre by eight metre wooden structure at Carrog Station suffered 100% fire damage during the blaze on Wednesday.

Two appliances fought the blaze for around three hours, using two two main jets, two hose reels as well as breathing apparatus and a triple extension ladder.

Fire services received a call at 2.21pm and sent one appliance from Corwen, followed by a second from Wrexham.

The blaze was believe to have been started by a spark from a fireplace.

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and Rescue said: "We received a call at 2.21pm relating to a fire near Corwen.

"Two appliances attended, one from Corwen and one from Wrexham. Two main jets and two hose reels were used, alongside a triple extension ladder and one set of breathing apparatus for comfort.

"The building received 100% damage. The fire was caused by a spark from an open fire. "