Twenty-one goals for Sharks


Shaun Davies


DOMINANT Denbigh Sharks scored one fewer point than the Welsh rugby side last weekend!

However, Denbigh’s feat came on the football pitch, as they swept aside the challenge of Dyserth.

The Sharks were struggling for a team before the match, with six players unavailable and without both goalkeepers, midfielder Deio Clwyd stepped up to don the gloves.

Guto Owen ran riot down the right wing all through the game, scoring four times himself and setting up a number of goals for colleagues in a man of the match display.

Ian “Jan” Hall scored a hat-trick, while top scorer Adam Sumner bagged himself four goals.

Owen Roberts (2), Sam Edwards (2), Danny Macdonald, Deio Clwyd, Josh Howarth, David Devine and Ilan Pierce rounded off what was the Sharks’ biggest ever win.

Due to the high rainfall having a detrimental effect on the pitches this winter, Denbigh Town U-15s’ trip to Prestatyn was only their seventh fixture of the season.

It was a tough ask for the Reds, against the unbeaten Prestatyn U-16 side.

Denbigh were 2-0 down inside eight minutes, but urged on by captain Adam Jones, the Reds began to find a bit of space to play and Ifan Jones nearly scored.

Just as Denbigh were getting back into the game, Prestatyn scored their third from the spot.

There were further problems on 30 minutes when midfielder Ynyr Clwyd was involved in a sickening clash of heads. After treatment and some delay, he was helped off the pitch with a bloodied nose and a nasty cut to his mouth.

Denbigh were rocking and conceded another goal shortly afterwards.

At the start of the second half, the U-15s pushed up.

Defenders Dafydd Montgomery, Sam Lyon and Aled Douglas threw themselves in front of the ball, blocking shot-after-shot before squeezing upfield to support the forwards. Montgomery in particular made a number of crunching tackles. Adam Jones and Ashley Andrews also fought hard in the middle of the park.

Prestatyn eventually found the net again a quarter-of-an-hour in and as if things could not get any worse, captain Adam Jones then had to be withdrawn through injury.

Bongi Mashaba began to show what a skilful ball player he is with some neat footwork, Daniel Whitfield  showed nice touches and Ifan Batty worked hard.

Although Iwan Johnson pulled off some fine stops, Prestatyn scored twice more.
Despite the scoreline, there was much to be taken from this game, not least the
fighting team spirit of the U-15s.

See full story in the Free Press

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read