St Asaph club seeks UEFA help


Kirstie Dolphin

A FOOTBALL pitch which was under water a few months ago could receive up to £50,000 for recovery work.

St Asaph mayor and councillor, John Roberts, was contacted by the president of Football Association of Wales and a member of the UEFA Fair Play and Social Responsibility Committee, Trefor Lloyd Hughes, after he saw the city’s football field flooded.

“He felt that we had a good case to apply for a grant from the UEFA natural disaster grant in order to reinstate the newly laid junior pitch and recovery work on the senior pitch that had also been severally affected by the floods,” said Cllr Roberts.

“The Pavilion also required work not fully covered by insurance.”

The grant is to help football clubs who have been affected by a natural disaster to help improve their facilities.

During February’s St Asaph Council meeting, councillors decided to apply for the grant.

“While it’s an excellent opportunity to get some much needed financial support the form has to be in by the end of February and a great deal of work needs to be done in a short period of time,” said Cllr Roberts.

“We are very grateful to the FAW for their support and advice and hopefully we will get the work that needs to done by the deadline.”

Meanwhile, flood-hit residents are being encouraged to take up flood-relief grants and loans.

Many people affected by November’s floods will still be able to claim grants or interest free loans from the Department of Work and Pension to replace household items.

For example, a cash amount of around £3000 for new household items can be claimed for a single bed roomed flat, as long as those items were not covered by contents insurance.

Interest free Crisis Loans can be claimed by anyone who has little or no savings.

Community Care Grants can be claimed by people with limited or no savings who are on pension credit, income support and some other state benefits.

Generally, around £26 million in state benefits and tax credits, for both people in and out of work, go unclaimed in Denbighshire each year.

Even if you are not entitled to financial assistance, Denbighshire County Council can provide information about related issues like energy efficiency, resolving personal debts and accessing other relevant local services.

Call the welfare rights freephone advice line on 0800 1696625 (10 to 4pm weekdays) for free, confidential information and advice.

In some circumstances the welfare rights team may be able to undertake home visits to help with initial claims, or appeals if you have claimed within the last four weeks.

See full story in the Free Press

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read