A FAMILY had a lucky escape when their car burst into flames on the A55 on Monday.
The terrifying incident happened between junctions 24 and 25 near the A547 slip road to Abergele during busy bank holiday traffic at about 3.45pm, bringing cars to a standstill as the eastbound carriageway was blocked.
Heading along the road was Micha Wynne, from Mold, who captured this image as fire engulfed the vehicle.
She said: “We saw a kid trying to flag people down near a car that was pulled over on the hard shoulder.
“There was only smoke coming from the car at first but then it blew into flames.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service believe the blaze was caused by an electrical fault in the green VW Scirocco.
A spokesman said: “Two crews were called to the scene and firefighters used a hose reel and breathing apparatus.”
North Wales Police confirmed the eastbound carriageway was temporarily closed just before 4pm but one of the lanes was reopened minutes later.
See full story in the Free Press