A TEENAGER who survived a horrific crash near Denbigh is trying to come to terms with what happened.

Liam Bell, 19, was involved in the crash which happened on Graig Road between Denbigh and Trefnant shortly before 7.30pm on Friday, October 27.

John Michael Jones, 18, Leon Rice, 17, and Colin Hornsby, 17, died in the incident, which involved a Vauxhall Corsa and Vauxhall Antara.

Liam was taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital in Bodelwyddan with serious injuries and has since been discharged.

Another 16-year-old boy, who was a passenger in the Corsa, is being treated in Liverpool.

Liam’s mum Santina said: “Liam is still very sore at the moment. On Monday, he had some of his stitches removed.

“He has finished all his antibiotics but is still taking medication for his pain. He is having a lot of flashbacks about the accident.”

A 68-year-old female passenger from the Vauxhall Antara was taken to hospital with serious injuries. A 66-year-old-man was also taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

Liam was 18 when the crash happened and turned 19 the following day.

A fundraising page has been set up to help Liam get back on his feet.

Talking about the moment she found out her son had been in the accident, Santina added: “I had been out shopping and on our way home, one of my eldest sons Aidan, his girlfriend Catrin, had heard about the accident and phoned me to see if we were okay. I told her it wasn’t us in the accident and that we were on our way home. I was unpacking the shopping when a knock went at the door. It was two of my son’s friends. They told me they couldn’t get hold of Liam.

"He had told them he wouldn’t be long as he was going with a group of friends to take Colin to the train station in Rhyl. Two young girls called down to my house saying they couldn’t get hold of any of them in the car, so on hearing this, my eldest son Aidan went down to near the industrial estate to ask police officers about the accident.”

Aidan had to give his personal details to police officers and give names of those he knew might have been in the car.

“The officer radioed through to the sergeant and was told to go home and not to phone me then wait for a phone call,” Santina explained.

“When my son told me and his dad, we went straight down there where both myself and my husband [Marcus] then approached the officer. He told us to go home but I refused to move until I knew if that crash had involved our son.

“After 20 minutes, the officer came back and asked me if we could get to Glan Clwyd Hospital. Even at that point, we didn’t know what we were going to be walking into.

“All I did is pray all the way that he was going to be ok.”

Once at the hospital, Santina breathed a sigh of relief that her son was alive but she was still very upset.

“It is a parent’s worse nightmare for your child to go out and not come back home,” she added.

“We had so many emotions running through our head but not knowing was the worse feeling ever.

“We are so thankful that he is alive but at the same time, we are heartbroken for the families that have lost their children.”

Santina thanked the ambulance service, the fire brigade and police, those who stopped to assist and Alison Garnett who set up the fundraising page.

To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/alison-garnett-1

A charity event and children’s disco will be held in memory of Michael and Leon, both of Ruthin, this Friday (November 9) at Ruthin Town Football Club between 5.30pm and 7.30pm.

All proceeds will go to a JustGiving page set up for Michael and Leon. Visit www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/joyce-hession-1

More than £2,500 has been raised.

For more details for the above event, contact organiser Kate Wilson on 01824 707289.