WHILE their final league contest ended in defeat, Corwen were still able to celebrate at the final whistle.

Danny Jellicoe's charges missed out on the Wrexham Area League Premier Division crown following their 3-2 loss at Mold Alex.

However, Corwen still achieved a top-two finish, which was enough to secure promotion.

Corwen went into the game knowing that victory would hand them the league title, but this was not going to be easy against a Mold side that had not lost since last November.

The first chance fell to the visitors as Sam Henry played a corner into the box, but Joe Williams header ended up narrowly wide.

From the resulting free kick, Williams returned the favour to play in Henry, who shot wide.

The deadlock was broken in the 17th minute and it was Mold who were celebrating.

Rhys Nash's effort from the corner of the box curled just beyond keeper Dylan Jones’ reach and into the bottom corner of the net.

Corwen came storming back two minutes later when Eilir Edwards played a great ball to Joe Williams, who hit a first time shot into the back of the net.

The visitors went close to taking the lead when Sam Henry played in a corner and Ryan Billington slid in, but he sent the ball over the bar under pressure from a defender.

Corwen’s first shot on goal in the second half fell to Dale Davies, but his effort on the turn was saved by the Mold keeper.

Ten minutes after the restart and the hosts regained the lead.

Lee Jones took a touch to control the ball in the box before restoring his side’s lead with a fine finish.

A real turning point in the game occurred on the hour, when Corwen were awarded a penalty for hand ball.

Sam Henry took the spot kick, but Elliot Quinlan guessed correctly to pull off a brilliant save.

Then, just three minutes later, Mold extended their advantage.

From a corner, Rhys Nash flicked the ball home to make the scoreline 3-1.

Corwen looked to respond and Henry's free kick from distance went up and over the wall.

It looked to be heading in, but he was thwarted by Quinlan again, who used his fingertips to divert the ball against the crossbar.

Corwen hauled themselves back into the contest with 13 minutes remaining.

Ryan Billington bundled the ball home from a corner to cut the gap between the sides down to a solitary goal.

Corwen continued to press after this and Dominic Doherty played the ball across the face of the Mold goal, but there were no red shirted players waiting for a tap-in.

Corwen’s final chance came when Joe Williams stooped to get his head on to the end of a cross, but he could only send the ball wide of the target.

The final whistle confirmed defeat for Corwen, but while they missed out on the title, promotion was still confirmed.