A LLANGOLLEN man has been told his remorse and co-operation helped him avoid jail, after he admitted to dealing drugs.

Harvey Michael Tatlock, 23, of Greenfields in the Frontcysyllte area, admitted possessing both cannabis and ketamine with the intention to supply.

The offences were committed between July 8 last year and February 16 2019, when police attended his home address and following a search, found drugs with a street value of £1,500 at the property.

Justin Espie, prosecuting, told the hearing at Mold Magistrates Court, how Tatlock had fully co-operated with officers, including the fact he had started smoking cannabis at the age of 16, which led to a £50-£60 a day habit and proved to be the prompt for him selling it, which he had been doing for around two years.

Mr Espie went on to say how Tatlock’s full co-operation with the police had saved a detailed investigation taking place and because of this, full credit could be given to him.

Probation Officer Miriam Arton said Tatlock had been very compliant and how he began to suffer from feelings of anxiety after started smoking cannabis as a teenager which had resulted in him struggling to hold down a regular job.

Ms Arton went on to say that Tatlock, who lives at home with his parents and sister, began to run up a debt to drug dealers, which left him feeling “scared” and “backed into a corner”. She went on to say that the debt was only paid after his mother helped him secure a bank loan, and how he was feeling much better after managing to give up smoking cannabis around seven months ago. She also said that he represented a low likelihood of re-offending and that there was no evidence he posed any risk to the public.

Emma Simoes, defending, told the Magistrates that the case was unusual because defendants are not usually as co-operative as Tatlock had been since his arrest back in February. She told the court how he had been both candid and honest and at the time of the offences had been very young and easily influenced.

Ms Simoes went on to say that what had happened had been a “short, sharp shock” but Tatlock fully accepted he was at risk of immediate custody.

Despite telling Tatlock the matter was “a clear case of street dealing” the Magistrates agreed that because of the remorse he had shown and the co-operation he had given to the authorities, the 12 month custodial sentence should be suspended for two years.

Tatlock was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and was fined £200.