A BEDROOM at a Denbigh farmhouse was destroyed after a chimney fire spread, it has been confirmed.

North Wales Fire and rescue Service received a call at 5.35am on Thursday reporting the incident, at a 'domestic farmhouse' in Hendre Wydd.

Four crews attended - from Denbigh, St Asaph, Ruthin and Abergele.

At the property, teams found the lounge and bedroom above "well alight" and used two hose reel jets to tackle the flames.

Six sets of breathing apparatus were also used, as well as a pair of thermal imaging cameras.

Denbighshire Free Press:

A spokesman said the cause was confirmed to be a chimney fire which spread, and 100 per cent fire damage was caused to the bedroom, with 50 per cent fire damage to the lounge and 60 per cent smoke damage to the entire property.

Nobody was injured in the incident, the spokesman said.

Fire crews confirmed the incident to be over just after 8.50am.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service released the image above following the incident, along with advice for members of the public on chimney fires.

A spokesman said: "All chimneys and flue-ways should be cleaned and checked to ensure they are free from debris and in full working order before the heating season.

"A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisonings so it's very important to employ a professional qualified chimney sweep such as those certified by the National Association of Chimney Sweeps.

"Regular maintenance of your chimney will depend on the fuel you burn - if you burn oil or gas, your chimney should be swept once a year,  Bituminous - coal twice a year, wood up to four times a year and smokeless coals at least once a year.

"Do not burn wet wood - all wood burned must have a moisture content of no more than 17 percent.

"When thinking about heating your home, it's important to purchase the correct size appliance for your room - an appliance which is too large will never be used hot enough to volatize all of the fuel within the wood and unburned fuel will pass up the chimney as smoke and condense within the flue as extremely flammable creosote."