TIER three side St Asaph City suffered another shock cup defeat following a six-goal thriller against CPD Y Rhyl 1879 in the FAW Trophy.

Rhyl 1879, in their first competitive season in the fourth division, continued their excellent form on Sunday to make it three wins in three games of the 2021/22 campaign.

St Asaph were looking to redeem their surprise loss to Rhuddlan Town in the FAW Welsh Cup after a 2-2 draw and penalty shootout earlier this month. A strong line-up included Michael Crossley in goal, captain Dan Williams, as well as new defender Lloyd Hogg and attacker Brett Fitzsimons.

But in the high heat at Belle Vue it was Rhyl who got off to a quick start, with hometown boy Ollie Staveley rising above the City defence to score a towering header for the lilywhites. Just two later right wing back Chris Bennett struck for the lilywhites.

The visitors managed to claw their way back into the game somewhat fortunately in the twentieth minute after a deflection left 1879 goalkeeper Ryan Roberts little chance making it 2-1.

The 40th minute saw the home side strike again after some great work in the build up by the talented Ollie Staveley, Staveley managed to find Tom Cain in the penalty area with a looping cross, Cain was on hand to fire past the visiting goalkeeper with a delightful left footed volley. Rhyl extended their lead to 3-1 at the break.

The second half started positively for the home side, with comfortable passages of play in control of the ball. Minute 58 came along and after a foul thirty yards from goal Tom Cain steps up again as he proves his worth from set pieces, with a great strike direct from the free kick finding the top left corner taking the match to 4-1 in favour of the home side.

The game understandably played out under the gruelling heat and on the eighty-third minute substitute Tyler Joyce was dragged to the floor in the penalty area leaving referee Terry Atkinson little option but point to the spot. Joyce then stepped up for the penalty leaving the keeper with little chance firing into the bottom right corner.

An entertaining game from start to finish in sweltering conditions finished 5-1, the lilywhites face Prestatyn Sports next in the Welsh Cup Saturday 24th July 2pm kick off.

1879 manager Gareth Thomas said: “Really happy with the performance, best one so far where as we dominated from the start.

"Also, I’m really happy to have come away from the game without picking up any more injuries, we will be looking to take our form in to the Welsh Cup game against Prestatyn Sports next Saturday.”