THE Ardal NorthWest League's top two - Porthmadog and Denbigh Town - played out a stalemate on Saturday afternoon.

A win at Y Traeth would have seen Dewi Llion's Denbigh go top of the tier three table.

But, it wasn’t to be as the teams played out a tense game with plenty of chances at either end but no goals to show for either team’s endeavours.

Port had the early chances as Denbigh took time to settle. Town keeper Stuart Griffiths was called upon twice in a matter of minutes to dive at the feet of the Port attackers and thwart their attacks.

With 28 minutes played Denbigh had a golden opportunity to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty after a clumsy challenge on striker Lee Davey. Jake Walker stepped up to take the kick and shot low and to his left only for Dylan Pritchard to guess correct as he dived to parry the ball away for a corner.

However, this setback spurred Denbigh into taking control of the rest of the half . They had plenty of possession and several chances to break the deadlock . Walker flicked on a header for Mark Roberts to head for goal in a one on one situation with Pritchard but his shot was well saved once again by the keeper.

Just as half time approached Stuart Griffiths was called upon to make yet another diving save at the feet of a Port striker. In the collision Griffiths injured his hand with what appeared to be a dislocation of a finger - but he soldiered on.

Port started the second half like the first as Denbigh were slow coming out of the blocks. With only a minute played Dewi Thomas broke down the left wing and sent in a superb cross to the head of Paul Lewis on the far post and Denbigh were glad to see his header hit the side netting.

With 57 minutes played came a controversial decision. Port were attacking and a high ball saw Moses Barnett and John Littlemore challenge for the ball in the air. Littlemore fell only for Billy Holmes to accidentally stand on the Port striker. Referee Griffiths deemed this to be a deliberate stamp on the player and brandished a red card to the amazed Denbigh players.

Port now had the advantage of an additional man but failed to capitalise on this as Denbigh regrouped.

The nature and pace of the game changed following the sending off as Denbigh’s tempo changed and they looked to contain the Port threat.

Twice Port had the ball in the back of the net but each time they were adjudged to have been offside infringements. Denbigh did threaten the Port goal but not with the intensity they had done at the end of the first half and their chances were limited.

Port had a few forays at the Denbigh goal but the intensity of the game petered out towards the end of the 90 minutes as Denbigh looked to protect a valuable point after being reduced to ten men.

Meanwhile, Bala-based Llanuwchllyn capitalised on this result to move above Denbigh Town and into second as they beat Llandudno Albion 5-0.