An Audi 4x4 was completely destroyed by fire on the roadside near the Tesco store in Ruthin on New Year's day.

Alistair Syme, a former editor of the Denbighshire Free Press, witnessed the blaze, he said: "Coming out of Tescos I saw the white Audi well ablaze across the road. Apparently no-one was injured and the car was gutted."

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and rescue confirmed no-one was injured and said: "The fire was caused by an electrical fault in the dashboard. There was 100 per cent damage to the vehicle."