THE great escape.

That's got to be the highlight of 2017 from the perspective of Ruthin Town FC.

After claiming just four points from their first 14 games of the season, Ruthin looked certain to suffer relegation from the Huws Gray Alliance.

However, in an amazing recovery spearheaded by boss Chris Williams, Town then claimed 28 points from their next 14 contests, which made sure they beat the drop.

It pretty much came down a make-or-break month of March, during which Ruthin would face all of their relegation rivals.

Leading into the key spell, Ruthin managed to edge their way away from the relegation zone with a fabulous four wins from seven matches.

Leading into the key spell, Ruthin boss Chris Williams said: "Everyone has worked really hard over the last couple of months and we have been able to get ourselves into a position where we have fighting chance, but it’s still only a fighting chance."

Ruthin began the month in brilliant fashion thanks to a 3-1 success at home to Buckley Town.

It was tight for the opening half-an-hour, with both sides having a couple of glimpses of goal during the initial stages.

Ruthin proved to be the more threatening in the final third and they claimed the lead after 32 minutes.

An error from the visiting defence gave Jordan MacCarter the chance to break the deadlock and he made no mistake to make it 1-0.

Things got even better for Ruthin when they crucially doubled their advantage just three minutes later. Sam Jones was in the right place to capitalise on yet another mistake from the visiting side.

It was game on once more when Buckley managed to halve their deficit with 25 minutes left to play.

Ruthin didn't panic following this goal and they were able to safeguard their three-point haul with 17 minutes remaining.

From a counter attack, midfielder Tom Sharples found himself in plenty of space to make it 3-1 and seal the deal.

Next up was a trip to Mold Alex and Ruthin romped to a brilliant 3-0 victory.

An outstanding team performance meant that Town were never really in any danger of relinquishing their latest three-point haul, moving them six points clear of the bottom four.

Tom Sharples recived a pass from Jordan MacCarter on edge of box and he finished well to the bottom corner in the 19th minute.

After half-an-hour, Ilan Hughes' dangerous free kick picked out MacCarter and he was left unmarked to head the ball into the net.

Ruthin's third goal came on 48 minutes.

Fine work from Tom Sharples and Garmon Hafal created a chance for Llyr Morris on the penalty spot and he finished it off clinically.

Town's terrific run of results continued when they beat Llanfair United 4-1 in their next match, hauling Ruthin out of the bottom-five.

Just two minutes had elapsed when Jordan MacCarter got into the area, beat his man and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Town doubled their advantage when centre half Kevin Evans bulleted a header in from an Ilan Hughes corner.

Ruthin made the points safe after 56 minutes when MacCarter's cross was superbly headed in at the far post by Garmon Hafal.

Llanfair pulled one back, but the final word belonged to Ruthin with 13 minutes left to play.

Good play by striker Llyr Morris saw the ball played to Craig Wilkinson in the area and he calmly finished it off.

Concluding the perfect month, Ruthin then saw off the challenge of Conwy Borough 3-2 in a thriller.

With 91 minutes on the clock, Kevin Evans bagged his second goal in the space of two games to cap yet another superb Town victory.

Jordan MacCarter and Llyr Morris bagged the earlier goals for Ruthin, who twice fought back after being behind.

This run of four wins from four matches led to Chris Williams winning the manager of the month award in the Huws Gray Alliance and Town would end the campaign in 11th spot.

Ruthin have continued their good run into the current campaign and Llyr Morris has been in terrific form.

Up to last weekend, Morris had bagged 17 goals to lead the individual scoring charts in the league.

Morris bagged one of the goals as Ruthin caused a major Welsh Cup stir at the beginning of December.

In the third round of the competition, Ruthin came away from top flight Prestatyn Town with a thumping 3-0 success.