THE Blues were unable to complete their very own Triple Crown over the weekend.

Three sides are vying to become the WRU League Division One (North) champions this season and Ruthin have already defeated two of them over the course of the campaign.

The Cae Ddol side are the only team to defeat leaders Nant Conwy in the league this season, while they managed to see off the challenge of title-chasers Bala in WRU Plate action.

Defending champions Pwllheli are the other side still in the title picture and they were Ruthin's opponents over the weekend.

After a morning of rain and sleet, this game was played on a very soggy pitch, but it provided some good entertainment for the crowd.

Pwllheli showed their intentions in the first few minutes.

After some pressure in Ruthin’s half, the ball was kicked across the field and caught by Osian Parry Jones, who nipped over for a try which he converted.

Ruthin responded to this score and they challenged the Pwllheli line for about 10 minutes, but they were duly kept out by the visitors’ competent defence.

Play returned to the Blues' half and Pwllheli got their second try when the ball was kicked forward through Ruthin’s defence and Robin Hughes Jones scored, with Parry Jones adding the additional two points.

Again the Blues responded and they were awarded a penalty, which fly half Nathan Jones kicked between the uprights.

Ruthin had to defend well against Pwllheli’s response, but they were able to clear their lines and after putting the visiting defence to the test again, they were awarded a second penalty.

This went to touch on this occasion and the pack drove over from the resulting lineout, with second row Arwyn Davies getting the try.

The whistle blew for half-time with Pwllheli leading 14-8.

The Blues started the second half as they finished the first, but again the visitors’ defence held and play returned to Ruthin’s half.

After defending well for about 10 minutes, but with Pwll getting ever closer to Ruthin’s line, Caron Jones popped the ball over the line from a yard out and Parry Jones converted.

With 20 minutes to go, Pwllheli were after their try bonus, but with Ruthin defending doggedly, they had to wait until the 78th minute for Ianto Parry to score in the corner.

The try was not converted and after a few additional minutes, full time was up with Pwllheli winning 26-8.