IT'S been a while in the making, but Corwen Reserves have finally returned to competitive action.

The Wrexham Area League Reserves' Division trip to Hawarden was Corwen's first competitive match for three months, due to poor weather and free Saturdays.

Corwen’s first chance arrived when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box after Ioz Jones was brought down.

Scott Evans took the set piece, but he could only zip it past the top corner of the goal frame.

Tom Dolben Hughes' 13th minute shot across the face of the goal ended up narrowly wide of the target and a minute later, Ioz Jones pounced on a loose ball just inside the penalty area, but his shot clipped the bar.

Scott Evans tried his luck from a couple more free kicks before the break, the second of which was tipped wide by keeper Connor Spencer-Wilson.

Ioz Jones was in the thick of the action in first half stoppage time.

Firstly he went on a long run, and played a quick one-two with debutant Kyle Jones, before seeing his shot saved.

In the third minute of stoppage, Scott Evans' free kick clipped the wall and looped in the air.

Ioz Jones won the race with Spencer-Wilson and toe poked the ball home to give Corwen the lead with practically the last kick of the half.

Rangers came out stronger for the second half and they levelled things up on the hour through Danny Roberts.

Corwen went close to regaining the lead when Tom Dolben Hughes crossed for Scott Evans, whose shot was blocked on the line.

With 10 minutes left to play, Hawarden were given a great opportunity to take the lead for the first time.

They were awarded a penalty for a foul in the box and Woods got the better of debutant keeper Tom Lloyd by sending his spot kick straight down the middle and into the back of the net.

Scott Evans' low shot was saved by Spencer-Wilson as Corwen looked for a late response.

The final whistle condemned Corwen to defeat in a game they deserved to get something from.

Despite the result, they were just glad to get back to competitive football after such a long break.