SO, there cannot be any argument that Ruthin Town are the top side in Denbighshire this season!

Chris Williams' charges have already completed a Huws Gray Alliance double over Denbigh Town this season, while they also impressively bundled top flight Prestatyn Town out of the Welsh Cup.

Add to this the fact that four-midable Ruthin romped to victory on Saturday to complete a memorable league double over Welsh footballing giants Rhyl.

In front of a crowd in excess of 300, Rhyl enjoyed some early pressure, but they were to fall behind in only the eighth minute.

Will Owen got through the visitors' defence and he finished well from inside the box.

The visitors attempted to haul themselves back into the contest and Ruthin's backline had to remain strong to clear the danger following a goalmouth scramble.

Alun Webb threatened for Rhyl down the right side, but ex-Lilywhite Mike Sharples was on hand to make a last-ditch tackle to put the ball out for a corner.

Rhyl's next effort came from a long-range Stewart Carroll shot, which Ryan Goldston blocked and the keeper bravely gathered the ball on the ground.

As Rhyl pressed forward looking for a leveller, gaps opened up in their defence and Huws Gray Alliance top scorer Llyr Morris was the man to make the most of these.

Morris doubled the home side's lead in the 24th minute to take his personal haul for the campaign up to 22 goals.

At the other end, the lively James Murphy had the next opportunity, but a last ditch block from the Ruthin defence saw the ball sail over the bar.

Minutes later and Ruthin looked likely to grab a third, only for Sam Downey to be on hand to clear.

Turning to the second half and as things progressed, it was Ruthin who were playing the neat football on a testing surface, while Rhyl were relying on the long ball.

Rhyl were becoming increasingly frustrated as they failed to break down their organised hosts and a wild challenge from James Murphy sparked a melee in the centre of the pitch, which saw Murphy and Will Owen booked.

It was game over when Ruthin extended their advantage even further on the hour.

The visitors' defence became more stretched and Morris was once again on hand to take advantage to grab his second goal of the afternoon.

Rhyl did continue to press for a foothold in the game, with Mark Connolly shooting wide, while Phil Marsh tested Ryan Goldston, who was once again equal to the attempt.

The gaps continued to appear in the Rhyl defence and Llyr Morris was on hand to complete his hat-trick in the 83rd minute.

Mighty Morris netted from close range after an initial shot had been saved by Rory Crowther.

Rhyl gained a consolation in the 88th minute when Alun Webb was played through and his direct run saw him beat the home defence and he fired past Goldston to score a fine goal.

Ruthin are up to eighth in the table following their eighth win of the season.