THE unbeaten year continues for Denbigh Town.

Eddie Maurice-Jones' charges had to work hard to maintain their Huws Gray Alliance title hopes with a 1-0 win at Penrhyncoch.

Denbigh were eager to get going after weeks without a competitive game and this was their first match in more than a month.

Town had two new players on board, both recently transferred from Llandudno Junction, with right back Joel Hewitt and keeper Keighan Jones in the squad.

Jones who was handed a place in the starting line-up as regular keeper Jon Hill-Dunt was out with a nasty knee injury.

Denbigh made a bright start and just two minutes had elapsed when Gareth Partridge crossed to Corey Smart, who just could not quite make the desired contact.

Moments later and Penrhyncoch looked like they were through on goal until Ben Nash intervened.

However, Nash was penalised and cautioned as the referee felt he had deliberately impeded centre forward Steffan Davies near the edge of the box.

Home defender Cledan Davies hit the free kick cleanly, but it was fired over the crossbar.

Steffan Davies went close with a header as Penrhyncoch looked for a breakthrough and Denbigh soon had centre back Liam Smith cautioned for a foul.

As the game wore on, it was Denbigh who began to look like the better side and they were playing the better football.

Penrhyncoch still looked dangerous, but they were more inclined to play the long ball down the sloping pitch.

Denbigh came out in determined fashion after the break and Kristian Pierce hit the side netting after jinking in from the left wing, while Corey Smart saw a well hit effort go just wide.

At the other end, Steffan Davies went close with a header and visiting keeper Keighan Jones did well to block a one-on-one situation.

Despite enjoying more of the possession, Denbigh simply could not create clear cut chances and a goalless draw looked likely.

Town used all three of their substitutes during the last quarter-of-an-hour and Warren Duckett's introduction had an immediate impact.

Duckett was able to hold the ball high up front and he was soon causing problems.

The winning goal eventually came with eight minutes left.

From Hewitt's cross, Duckett laid it back to Gareth Partridge and he hit the ball first time into the bottom corner of the net.