SPOT-ON Denbigh Town deserved at least a point from their piece of weekend Huws Gray Alliance action.

The home meeting with Penrhyncoch was a game where Denbigh felt they should have taken all three points after having the bulk of the match and creating several chances to have won the game.

In the end, it was a 78th minute penalty from loan signing Alfons Fosu-Mensah that secured the hosts a point against the well-organised Mid Wales team.

Denbigh welcomed Ross Weaver back to the team after a spell out through injury and he stepped in to replace the unavailable Miles Todd.

Young Scott McHarrie moved into defence and he enjoyed a fine game, adapting well to his new role.

Bailey Jackson also made a return to the starting XI, with striker Jake Walker dropping to the bench.

After a wet morning, the game started in dry and warm conditions.

Denbigh were immediately on the front foot, with Lewis Sirrell's shot from just outside the penalty area being pushed behind by Oliver Fairbrother.

However, the visitors broke quickly from the ensuing Town set piece and a cross found centre forward Liam Lewis in space, but his header went wide of the goal.

Denbigh responded and Fairbrother failed to deal with Bailey Jackson's free kick.

The ball fell to a surprised Tony Davies, who could not capitalise on the opportunity and it went out for a goal kick.

While Town were in control during the initial stages, it was Penrhyncoch who took the lead in the ninth minute.

Another break saw the visitors beat the offside trap and after running with the ball from the halfway line, Liam Lewis produced a composed finish to slot past Denbigh keeper Craig Vernon.

Denbigh looked to respond to this setback and Ross Weaver sent a terrific ball to Alfons Fosu-Mensah, who shrugged off a challenge and then unleash a shot, which was well saved by Fairbrother.

As the half progressed, Denbigh continued to have more of the possession and their crisp ball playing saw the Roosters' defence having to drop deeper and deeper.

Rhys Llwyd had three opportunities in close succession.

One was a great volley after Bailey Jackson and Alfons Fosu-Mensah linked well to provide a cross and the effort forced a fine save from Fairbrother.

Penrhyncoch were still looking dangerous on the break and on occasion, the Town defence looked stretched.

At the other end, nobody was able to capitalise on Sam Jones' cross into the box and when Penrhyncoch broke, Denbigh conceded a free kick just inside their own half.

The high set piece fell to Liam Lewis, whose shot just curled over the bar from 16 yards.

The second half saw Town come out with more purpose.

However, it was Liam Lewis who had the first opportunity when his shot was well saved by Craig Vernon.

Seconds later and the visitors should have been two-nil up.

Liam Doherty broke through, but Vernon pulled off a brilliant stop to thwart the forward.

This seemed to spur the home team on and they soon enjoyed their best spell of the game.

Tony Davies' header hit the side netting from Jackson's free kick and a minute later, Jackson sent in another cross and Curtis Langton just failed to get his head to the ball.

Penrhyncoch responded with Liam Lewis' shot beating Vernon, but the ball hit the crossbar and bounced away to safety.

Substitute Tom Jones was the next player to threaten for Denbigh and after collecting the ball, his shot went over the bar.

Tenacious play from Alfons Fosu-Mensah gave him a chance with a quarter-of-an-hour remaining, but his shot just curled over the bar.

However, positive news soon went Denbigh's way.

Substitute Jake Walker's first piece of action was to win a penalty.

He was fouled in a mix-up between Fairbrother, a defender and Walker.

Up stepped a confident looking Alfons Fosu-Mensah, who blasted the ball into the back of the net on 78 minutes.

Both teams then pressed for a late winner.

Fosu-Mensah knocked down a ball for Lewis Sirrell, but his shot went well over.

Soon after, Fosu-Mensah was put through and after holding off visiting defenders, his goal-bound shot was blocked.