DESPITE claiming an early lead, Bala were unable to secure their first WRU League Division One (North) win of the season over the weekend.

A tough task was in the offing for the men from Maes Gwyniad courtesy of a home clash with old foes and defending Division One (North) champions.

While Bala claimed the lead inside the opening five minutes, it was the visitors who responded in fine fashion to record a bonus point victory, which maintained their unbeaten beginning to the campaign.

On a rather wet afternoon, the home pack began proceedings strongly.

Just three minutes had elapsed when Bala took the lead.

The forwards powered their way over the line for scrum-half Dewi Atherton to touch down.

This try was converted by Rhydian Jones.

In response, Nant Conwy's backs became more and more prominent, with fly half Sion Pringle scoring his side's first try, with winger Steffan Horan converting to level things up.

Two penalties from Horan nudged Nant into the lead, while the home side stretched their advantage to 11 points prior to the half-time whistle being sounded.

Once again it was Sion Pringle who crossed the whitewash to put Nant in the box seat.

The visitors continued on the front foot when the second half got underway.

Scrum half Guto Dafydd crossed for his side's third try after 13 minutes of the second period.

Steffan Horan's conversion attempt hit the post.

Refusing to be undeterred, Bala responded with their second try, which was once more scored by Dewi Atherton.

Rhydian Jones nudged over the conversion effort and Bala were back to within nine points of their opponents.

Any hopes of a comeback were ended when Nant Conwy grabbed their bonus point try in the 66th minute.

On this occasion, it was Steffan Horan who ran down the wing to score.

The final try of the afternoon arrived with seven minutes left to play and it went in favour of Nant Conwy.

Strong running centre Caron Davies gained the final try, with Horan's conversion completing the scoring for the afternoon.