UNBEATEN Huws Gray Alliance leaders Airbus UK Broughton provided Denbigh Town with a stern Saturday test.

Ahead of kick-off, Airbus had won all of their previous 11 games and they stood a massive 14 points clear.

Despite this, Denbigh provided a spirited performance and they were always in the contest.

Two goals from striker Asa Hamilton were the difference between the sides in a game that was played at pace.

Goalkeeper Craig Vernon returned from injury to take his place in the Denbigh starting line-up.

Sion Jones started in a central midfield position, while up front Lewis Sirrell took the role of striker, with Mark Roberts moving to the bench.

Airbus started the stronger of the two teams and they had several chances in the early stages.

However, Denbigh’s defence stayed strong, with both Tony Davies and Curtis Langton putting in telling interceptions to keep the Airbus strikers at bay.

Denbigh had chances of their own, with Lewis Sirrell doing well to find Sam Jones, whose shot was comfortably saved by home number one Dave Roberts.

Jordan Barrow played a ball into the line of Bailey Jackson, whose powerful shot from 25 yards was safely gathered by Roberts.

Home striker Joe Chaplin had two chances to open the scoring.

A crunching challenge from Tony Davies stopped him in his tracks during the first opportunity, while he forced Craig Vernon into a great save minutes later.

The match was being played at a fast and furious pace.

Some good play between Bailey Jackson, Lewis Sirrell and Jordan Barrow saw the ball being crossed to Sam Downey and his header from 12 yards landed on top of the net.

Sion Jones did well under pressure in the middle of the pitch to find Lewis Sirrell, who had an audacious attempt from 30 yards at lobbing Roberts, but his effort was just wide of the goal.

The Wingmen took the lead on 19 minutes.

Curtis Strong's cross found Asa Hamilton in space to head past the outstretched arms of Craig Vernon.

Denbigh continued to battle as the half progressed, but both defences remained strong as Airbus went into the break 1-0 up.

Town had the first opportunity when the second half got underway, with Sam Jones' shot going wide.

Curtis Strong was proving to be a threat for the hosts and when his cross found Chaplin's head, Craig Vernon produced another great save.

Denbigh made a double substitution with Tom Jones and Mark Roberts replacing Sam Jones and Sion Jones.

However, Airbus caught their opponents napping and it was that man Hamilton who scored his second goal of the afternoon after playing a one-two.

Town now had to push forward to get back into the game.

The hard-working Sam Downey found Mark Roberts, whose cross just evaded Lewis Sirrell.

Pat Hinchcliffe and Jordan Barrow had efforts which were off target, while Mark Roberts' header across goal could not find a Denbigh colleague.

The effort the Denbigh team were putting in was first class, but they could not get the elusive goal against a well-organised Airbus outfit.

On 73 minutes, Pat Hinchcliffe made way for 22-year-old Marios Avraam, who was making his debut for Town.

Avraam joined the club from AFC Liverpool and has been waiting just over a month for international clearance before he could start.

Town continued to attack and won a free kick just outside the Airbus penalty area for a foul on Mark Roberts.

Sirrell fired into the wall and the rebound came to Jordan Barrow, whose shot flew just over the bar.

Their last attack came from a long throw from Barrow which found the head of Tony Davies, but his attempt was gathered by Roberts.