DOUBLE dreams are at an end for Corwen.

The Wrexham Area League Premier Division frontrunners entertained Mold Alex in the quarter-finals of the Premier Division Cup over the weekend.

In the previous round, the War Memorial Park outfit thrashed FC Queens Park, but Corwen were second best in their meeting with Mold.

The two sides had already met once this season, with Corwen claiming a 2-0 league victory in mid-October.

However, Mold made a brilliant start in the cup encounter to take the lead in unusual fashion.

Iwan Rogers netted straight from a corner to give his side the lead after only 90 seconds.

Mold continued on the front foot after this and with six minutes on the clock, Darren Warren collected the ball in the box and hit a snapshot at goal, which home keeper Dylan Jones was able to save.

The first attempt at goal of note from Corwen came when Joe Williams pulled the ball back to Eilir Edwards, who sent his effort straight at keeper Ste Holyoke.

Corwen went close to levelling things up just prior to the 20-minute mark.

Joe Williams flicked the ball into the air before unleashing a shot at goal.

This looked in all the way, but Holyoke was able to pull off a brilliant fingertip save.

From the resulting corner, Williams headed the ball over the crossbar.

Sam Henry’s first shot at the Mold goal came in the 24th minute.

He was able to find a favourable shooting angle, but saw his effort saved by the Mold number one.

At the other end, Matthew Lewis beat the offside trap and play the ball back to Warren, but the striker was unable to trouble Dylan Jones as he mishit his shot.

After half-an-hour, Corwen’s Iorwerth Jones saw his goalbound shot hit a defender, which took all the pace off his effort, enabling Holyoke to readjust and collect.

On the brink of half-time, Sam Henry was on the end of a Scott Evans corner, but he hit his shot a fraction too early and it ended up narrowly wide of the target.

Turning to the second half and Alex Webster sent a powerful shot at goal from near the side of the Mold box, but it went just over the bar.

Webster was in the thick of the action again when he sent a low shot at goal from distance, and it deflected into the keeper’s path.

With 20 minutes to play, Sam Henry whipped a corner into the visitors' box.

Ryan Billington got his head to it and the effort went just wide of the post.

Mold threatened with a corner of their own soon after, with captain Steve Watkin heading his attempt wide.

Corwen attacked again with just over a quarter-of-an-hour left to play.

Substitute Ryan Davidson crossed to Sam Henry, who attempted an overhead kick that went just over the target.

It looked like Corwen were going to find an equaliser soon after.

Joe Williams set up Sam Evans, who looped the ball over the oncoming keeper, but he could only watch as the ball dropped just the wrong side of the post.

With five minutes to play, Corwen played the ball out from the back and the move ended when Sam Henry put too much pace on his pass to Joe Williams.

A minute later and Mold substitute Lee Thomas sent a powerful shot at the Corwen goal.

This was saved well by Dylan Jones, who could only look on as the ball hit one of his defenders and went into the back of the net.

Mold bagged another goal a minute later.

Dylan Jones couldn't collect a long ball and Lee Thomas did the rest to make it 3-0.

Corwen went in search of a consolation goal as Sam Henry smashed a shot against the crossbar.

It was a frustrating day for Corwen against a very well organised Mold side.