A TOP-of-the-table clash failed to go in favour of Corwen.

There was massive at the Crick as Wrexham Area League Premier Division high-flyers Brymbo and Corwen met.

The first attempt at goal fell to the visitors, but Dominic Doherty sent his snapshot wide of the target.

This was closely followed by a shot from the edge of the box by the home side, which went over the crossbar.

In the eighth minute Corwen’s Sam Henry mishit a shot, which fortunately went into the path of strike partner Joe Williams.

He got the ball on to his favoured left foot, but sent his effort straight at keeper Declan Morgan.

With 12 minutes on the clock, Jake Prescott's shot from the edge of the box brought a fingertip save out of Corwen goalkeeper Dylan Jones.

From the resulting corner, Jack Ford was able to head the ball home to give his side the lead.

Brymbo threatened again via a 25-yard free kick from Jamie Cumming, which was tipped over the bar by Jones.

Corwen had the ball in the net five minutes prior to the interval.

The ball ping-ponged around the box from a Corwen corner before eventually going in off a defender, however the goal was disallowed for a push.

Soon after, a brilliant cross into the box was just begging to be headed home and Dale Davies did his best to oblige, but his attempt went just over.

Brymbo doubled their advantage two minutes into the second half.

Dylan Jones tipped Jordan Deer's free kick against the post, but he could only look on as Ben Kearney knocked in the rebound.

Corwen responded from the kick-off and they won a penalty when Sam Henry was fouled in the box.

Joe Williams converted the spot kick.

However, the home side went on to restore their two goal cushion in the 55th minute.

A ball across the Corwen box was tapped in by Ryan Clarke.

The visitors went in search of a way back into the game, with Scott Evans' header going straight into Morgan’s grasp and Corwen had another goal disallowed a minute later.

Sam Henry slotted the ball home, but he was dismayed to be penalised for offside.

It was game over when Jake Prescott brilliantly curled the ball into the net from 20 yards for Brymbo's fourth goal.

Corwen refused to throw in the towel and a handball offence gave them another penalty, which was netted by Sam Henry.