WHAT a way to end 2018!

Ruthin end the year in the top-three of WRU League Division One (North) following a thumping derby success at Mold.

With a strong wind blowing across the pitch, Ruthin started this match against their local rivals playing up the slope.

Mold did start the encounter with intent, but they were held in midfield by a strong Blues' defence and play then moved into the home 22.

After missing a penalty goal attempt, the visitors kept up the pressure and they claimed the lead after 10 minutes of play.

Scrum half Cai Edwards nipped over for a try, which centre Nathan Jones successfully converted.

After the restart, the Blues had to defend well against a concerted Mold attack.

Eventually, Ruthin cleared their lines and set themselves up for their second try of the afternoon from number eight Jordan Jones, with Nathan Jones again converting.

Once again, the home players were contained in midfield as they tried to break through the Blues' defence.

Ruthin turned defence into attack and their third try came from Nathan Jones just before half-time.

The players went in at the break with the scoreline a comfortable 21-0 in Ruthin's favour.

For the first quarter-of-an-hour of the second half, Mold defended well against Ruthin’s attempt to get their bonus point try.

The game was fiercely competitive and infringements on both sides led to a red card for Mold and a yellow card for a Ruthin player.

After 20 minutes of the second half, the bonus point try did arrive via Nathan Jones, who turned it into a seven-pointer with his successful conversion.

The Blues went down to 14 men again with a further yellow card, but they kept up the scoring.

There was a great individual try from full back Dyfan Humphreys, with Nathan Jones again converting.

The Blues were now dominant and Nathan Jones grabbed his hat-trick try with five minutes to go.

That wasn't quite the end of the scoring, though, and veteran back Gethin Hughes went over for the Blues' seventh try late on, which was once more converted by Nathan Jones and the whistle blew with Ruthin winning 47-0.