A MAGNIFICENT seventh spot in the Huws Gray Alliance.

That's Ruthin Town's reward on the back of a fine weekend.

Chris Williams' charges made it nine wins for the season courtesy of their battling 4-2 success at home to Prestatyn Town.

This was an eagerly awaited encounter and Ruthin enjoyed the ideal start.

Tom Roberts picked the ball up on the left, inside the Prestatyn half, before pushing on and firing a tremendous wind-assisted shot into the top left corner of the goal, leaving visiting keeper Ryan Roberts with absolutely no chance.

The Memorial Park Fields pitch was in remarkable condition considering the heavy rain at the back end of last week, but it was still heavy and free flowing football was difficult to achieve, despite attempts from both sides.

Lewys Turner, playing as a holding midfielder, made some telling tackles for the home side and it looked like Ruthin would be going into the break ahead.

That is until Alex Jones found himself through on goal after 41 minutes and he slotted the ball beyond Ruthin number one Ryan Goldston to make it one-apiece at the interval.

Ruthin managed to regain the lead nine minutes after the restart.

The ball went through a forest of legs from a corner and the ever alert Llyr Morris was lurking on the line to prod home.

However, the home side's joy was short-lived.

From the kick-off Ben Maher, beat a couple of men in the box to smash the ball into the top corner.

Things really livened up when Ruthin had two penalty shouts turned down.

The first was a hand ball shout, before Tom Roberts appeared to be tripped in full flight inside the box.

The referee waved play on and this seemed to galvanise the home side as they began to dominate the game, with Prestatyn tiring in the heavy conditions.

Enter Tom Williams, who produced a moment of inspiration in the 70th minute.

He controlled the ball wide of the goal, on the left had side just inside the penalty area.

Williams then looked up and chipped the keeper with the deftest of efforts, which went into the top corner of the net.

Ruthin were in control of proceedings and they soon had a third penalty appeal.

Ryan Roberts came out of his goal and upended Tom Williams as he was flying past him.

This time, the referee pointed to the spot.

Up stepped captain Ilan Hughes to belt the ball past the keeper to give the home side a two-goal cushion with 13 minutes remaining.

There were further opportunities for both sides in the closing stages.

Ruthin keeper Ryan Goldston was forced into making some really good saves as Prestatyn continued to look dangerous on the break.

The game ended with a goalmouth scramble, which Prestatyn managed to clear right at the death.