WHILE the Lakesiders heaped on the pressure, they only came away with a share of the spoils from their meeting with Newtown.

Football finally returned for Bala Town after a three-week spell without any action and it was a highly competitive and physical affair at Maes Tegid.

Bala began well considering they hadn’t kicked a ball in so long, as Steven Tames’ effort was gathered by Perry after three minutes.

Town were mounting some pressure, with Tames almost having the ball in the net minutes later, but he was deemed offside.

The pressure paid off on 16 minutes as Bala took the lead.

A short Tames pass teed up Kieran Smith, who nestled the ball into the bottom corner from around 12 yards out.

However, Bala became complacent after this, allowing Newtown to haul themselves into a game that became quite fiery, with tackles coming in and fouls being committed.

It was level when Kieran Mills-Evans was left unmarked and he headed into the net at the near post on 29 minutes following a free kick on the left flank.

Six minutes later and Newtown went ahead.

Callum Roberts was picked out from a cracking cross and he blasted in from close range to give the Robins a deserved lead at the interval.

Changes were made at the break, with Chris Venables and Nathan Burke making way for Sheridan and Horwood as Town set-up differently for the second period.

The Lakesiders should have been back level only a minute after the restart when Henry Jones placed the ball centimetres wide at the right upright in an opportunity that was easier to score than miss.

Anthony Stephens’ fizzing strike took the paint off the crossbar, while down the other end, Poyra Ahmadi’s dipping drive went narrowly over the woodwork.

Town were improving as they zipped the ball across the floor and they had another great chance on 63 minutes.

Kieran Smith looped the ball back in to find Tames and his touch was palmed over by Perry.

The sustained Bala pressure paid off when a superb passage of play was rewarded.

Henry Jones connected perfectly with Evan Horwood’s delivery and he popped the ball into the back of the net to make it 2-2.

Bala were camped in the Newtown half for the remainder of the match as they piled on the pressure, but the visiting backline stood strong with the Lakesiders unable to turn their chances into the vital goal required to notch the three points.

It was a tale of two halves at Maes Tegid with a much improved performance in the second half ahead of another quick turnaround of fixtures.

Bala head to Connah’s Quay on Tuesday night.