DERBY delight comfortably went the way of the Lilywhites.

There was an awful evening for Denbigh Town in their battle to beat relegation from the Huws Gray Alliance as they suffered a five-goal reverse at Rhyl.

Things were made worse with news that relegation rivals Holywell Town had claimed a 2-1 win over Bangor City on the same night.

Despite the final outcome, the match against Rhyl started brightly enough for Town.

However, after a short time, it was soon evident there was a difference in class between the teams.

The writing was on the wall when a cross from Rhyl's Joe Sullivan found youngster Luke Wiltshire, who may have slightly mishit before seeing the ball bounce off the post.

Rhyl attacked Denbigh time and time again, before Lewis Sirrell, seeing Rhyl's keeper off his line, tried a long punt which, really, only lessened the pressure on Town.

Denbigh did have a good spell after about 25 minutes.

Sam Downey and Scott McHarrie battled hard in midfield to try and contain Rhyl's Dave McIntyre.

In the meantime, home spectators waved and screamed at the referee every time a Denbigh tackle went in and McHarrie harshly received his 10th booking of the season.

Half chances came and went before Rhyl right back Cai Owen scored a screamer from 25 yards.

Visiting keeper Craig Vernon could only watch as the ball slammed low into the corner of the net.

When impressive centre forward Sam Molyneux scored just before half-time to double Rhyl's advantage it was effectively game over.

Within minutes of the restart, Molyneux had a clear chance which was blasted over the bar, but he made no mistake shortly afterwards with his second effort, tucking away a low cross from the right.

Heads dropped and damage limitation was the only option.

Dan Lloyd came on for Bailey Jackson and Harley Steel replaced Jake Walker, but try as they might, they could change nothing.

On 55 minutes, Molyneux secured his hat-trick.

The ball was flicked behind Denbigh's defence and Molyneux ran behind the defence before steering the ball past Vernon.

Denbigh midfielder Pat Hinchcliffe kept trying on the right hand side. The passing football was not evident, but his runs at the Rhyl's defence did cause one or two problems.

He had a strong shot on goal that forced Crowther to beat the ball down straight into the path of Mark Roberts.

However, it was not Denbigh's day and Roberts was unable to convert the chance.

With just over quarter-of-an-hour to go Andy Thomas replaced Scott McHarrie, but by this stage Rhyl were passing the ball around and not allowing Denbigh a touch.

Before full time, Sirrell fouled a Rhyl player in the middle of the park, but the referee, seeing an advantage for the Lilywhites, waved play on.

For some inexplicable reason, the players stopped, stood and simply watched 16-year-old substitute Callum Roberts run to gather the ball. He ran on to meet the advancing Vernon and cool as you like, hit the ball past him to score a dream goal for himself and heap further misery on the visitors.