THE Champagne remains on ice at War Memorial Park.

The top-two in the Premier Division of the Wrexham Area League met over the weekend at The Tip.

Hosts FC Queens Park were a point clear of Corwen in the standings ahead of kick-off, but having played four games more than their rivals.

This was the fifth meeting between the teams this season, with Corwen being victorious in the previous four.

Early on in proceedings, the hosts went close to breaking the deadlock.

Corey Smart's shot went past Corwen keeper Dylan Jones, but Kyle Jones was on hand to clear the ball off the goal-line.

It was 1-0 to Queens Park after half-an-hour.

Smart launched a long throw into the Corwen box and Mathew Williams flicked a header beyond Dylan Jones, who had come off his line, but failed to collect the ball.

Nine minutes later and when Corwen’s Dominic Doherty collected the ball, he played it across to Joe Williams.

Williams was bearing down on the Queens Park goal, but he saw his low shot being saved by goalkeeper Joey Jones.

An audacious attempt was made on the stroke of half-time.

Queens Park won the ball in midfield and the ball was given to Aled Powell.

Spotting Dylan Jones off his line, Powell's his shot from the centre circle went over the crossbar.

Corwen had penalty claims turned down when the second half got underway.

Substitute Iorwerth Jones was brought down in the home box, however referee Barry Wilding waved away the visitors' claims.

Queens Park went close to doubling their advantage from a corner.

When it was played into the box, the ball came off a player and was then cleared off the line.

At the other end, a great ball was pinged into the path of Joe Williams in the D.

He was lining up a shot, but Williams was stopped dead in his tracks thanks to a perfectly timed tackle from a Queens Park defender.

As the game entered the final seven minutes, the away side were awarded a free kick near the corner of Queens Park's 18-yard box.

Sam Henry got the ball under the wall, but he was unable to work the keeper as his attempt was blocked on its way towards goal.

It was game, set and match to the home side in the second minute of stoppage time.

When Corwen gave the ball away, Corey Smart ran at goal and his shoot crept into the net off the inside of the far post.

The defeat was a blow to Corwen’s title bid, but they remain favourites to claim the championship with five consecutive home games coming up.