DINBYCH 2nds had to work hard to overcome a well organised Holyhead side in this end-of-season mid-table clash.

Whilst Holyhead dominated at lineout time, Dinbych had the edge in the scrums, with both sets of backs taking advantage of the opportunities created in an open, if scrappy, encounter.

Playing with the advantage of a strong breeze at their backs, Holyhead had the better of the opening 10 minutes, but it was Dinbych who opened the scoring with their first visit into the visitors' half.

A strong burst down the middle by number eight Joe Davies made the initial incursion for left wing Huw Mars Jones, returning to action after a long absence, to show that he had not lost any of his attacking skills by beating several defenders before going over for an unconverted try.

Holyhead replied midway through the half after a period of pressure close to the Dinbych line, during which the hosts were depleted as they lost a player to the sin bin.

After the resultant penalty and a couple of forward drives to the line, full back Endaf Jones went over for an unconverted try which levelled things up.

Dinbych were quick to respond with Huw Mars Jones going over for his second unconverted try after a solo run, again beating a number of defenders after gaining possession just inside the Holyhead half. This lead was soon overturned when Holyhead outside half Rhodri Parry intercepted a pass just inside the Dinbych half allowing him to outpace a wrong-footed Dinbych defence for a try which he converted himself to take the lead.

Trailing 12-10 at the interval, Dinbych regained the lead in the 57th minute when full back Aidyn Jones went over in the corner after picking up a well-judged grubber kick by outside half Tom Evans.

Centre Ben Reed converted with an excellent kick from wide out and he then added a vital penalty from 35 metres.

Despite Holyhead's efforts, they were repulsed until the closing minutes when centre Tim Cleverly ended a period of play when the ball was turned over by both sides by going over for an unconverted try.

The game ended with a final scrum in the Holyhead 22, with prop Roger Clayton being shown a ceremonial red card - as a reminder of his loyal service grafting in the front row for Dinbych for over a couple of decades, to mark his retirement from the game.