DENBIGH Town Rhinos' U-15s hopes of winning Division Two of the Rhyl and District League took a blow last week as results went against them.

On Wednesday, the Rhinos were desperately unlucky not to take all three points against a determined Cymru Dragons in a match that ended in a 2-2 draw.

A close first half saw a handful of half-chances to each side, before the Dragons took the lead after half-an-hour.

However, Denbigh were level within five minutes.

A smart move saw Guto Owen split the home defence to allow Jake Roberts to lob in his 19th goal of the season.

Like in the previous game against Henllan, a highly contentious penalty decision went against Denbigh with Jake D. Roberts feeling aggrieved.

What look like a good challenge well outside the Denbigh area was adjudged differently.

Cymru smashed in the resulting kick for a 2-1 lead.

Denbigh finished strongly, though, and James Thomas struck a shot from wide out to equalise with seven minutes to go.

In the very last passage of play, Iwan Moores rattled the bar from a long-range free kick.

Thomas' volleyed follow-up hit the underside of the bar and Bradley Roberts saw his follow-up somehow being saved on the line as the Rhinos had to settle for a point.

An understrength Rhinos showed great heart and effort by playing a whole match with 10 men, but they were ultimately beaten 4-0 at home to Rhyl Hearts.

Although struggling after a bruising midweek clash and sickness, Denbigh nearly went ahead through Jake Roberts, but a slick counter, a sloppy corner and a bullet header saw the Rhyl side blast three goals in eight minutes.

Keeper Jake Jones was superb as Rhyl's extra man told at times, with Jones showing superb handling and great reflexes to keep the visitors at bay.

The second period was all about Denbigh.

Jake Roberts fizzed a shot wide, James Thomas stung the keeper's fingertips with a fine shot, Iwan Moores went close and Geth Rogers was denied when through as Denbigh probed for a way back, despite some of the players carrying knocks and Cian Evans sporting a bloodied nose.

Rhyl did ultimately hit a fourth goal, but Denbigh will be encouraged by the determination shown when they face Kinmel Bay in a title decider this week.