IT couldn't have been a better start to the season from Corwen's perspective.

After winning promotion to tier two of Welsh football, Corwen’s first competitive game at this level was against a side from tier three!

The draw for the Nathaniel MG Cup, which is contested by all tier one and two teams, along with a wild card from tier three, saw Corwen drawn away to wild card entry Berriew.

The reward for winning this tie was the opportunity to host JD Cymru Premier side Caernarfon Town in round two.

The first real action of the game came in the fourth minute, when Berriew’s Dennis Bates shot the ball over oncoming keeper Dylan Jones and his effort clattered against the crossbar.

Bates went for goal again from the rebound, but his effort was cleared off the line by Kyle Jones.

In the 10th minute a high ball was floated into the box by Kyle Jones, which Sam Henry was ready to volley home, but he couldn’t get a clean connection.

Richard Davies had a good opportunity to break the deadlock for the hosts as the ball fell nicely for him, but his volley forced a good from Dylan Jones.

Berriew keeper Harry Wilkinson was called into action when Joe Williams collected the ball with his back to goal, before turning and shooting, but the Berriew number one dived to make a good save.

On the half-hour mark, Xavier Matisse played a dangerous cross into the Corwen box, where Charlie Humphreys could only head the ball wide under pressure from Nathan Davies.

A couple of minutes before the break and the home side were awarded a free kick in line with D.

George Mitten's set piece went straight into the wall, while he then sent the rebound over the bar.

Corwen took the lead courtesy of a fine strike in the 61st minute.

Tom Williams ran along the edge of the box and went past three players before firing a clean shot into the net.

Corwen doubled their advantage five minutes later.

Tom Williams played in Sam Henry, who went around Wilkinson before taking a touch to get the ball on to his favoured right foot and slotting home.

The away side went in search of a third goal as Joe Williams played a great ball to substitute Ioz Jones, whose shot was cut out by the home defence.

Berriew were looking to set up a tense finale when the ball was played across the Corwen box, but Richard Davies could only head it narrowly wide of the target.

Two minutes later and Charlie Humphreys got on the end of a high ball with an acrobatic attempt, which went just wide of the goal.

In the 83rd minute, the ball was played through to Joe Williams, who got through on goal, but he sent his shot straight at Wilkinson.

The final whistle confirmed Corwen's tier two adventure started with a win, which is rewarded with a home tie against Caernarfon Town in round two.