ALEC Lewis could have dismissed Steve Smith at the weekend!

While the England bowlers were toiling away in their efforts to dismiss the Australian captain, Lewis was in simply scintillating form with the ball as Denbigh thrashed Connah's Quay in North Wales Cricket League Premier Division action.

He finished up with a career defining 8-8 return as the Ystrad Road hosts romped to a 208-run margin of victory.

On a humid afternoon, there was no real sign of the drama to come as Denbigh elected to bat first after they won the toss.

A solid effort from the top order set Denbigh on their way to a more than decent total.

Openers Gerallt Lyall and Harrison Jones (19) put together an opening stand of 42 to set the ball rolling.

Then, when Lyall was joined at the crease by Tom Schrimshaw, the do added 59 for the second wicket.

This stand came to an end when Lyall was run out for 39.

Schrimshaw added 24 to the tally and Sam Lewis made 27.

The star of the show from Denbigh's perspective was Andy Clarke who struck 51 batting at number six, his maiden half-century for the first team.

With Robert Schrimshaw adding an unbeaten 13 towards the end, Denbigh were dismissed for 232 off the final ball of their 50 overs.

Joshua Clarke (5-44) was the standout performer with the ball, supported by Martin Burger (2-50), Dylan Stout (1-20) and Callum Miller (1-65).

It must have been a good tea for Alec Lewis, who came out fired up for the second portion of the afternoon.

He quickly dismissed three of Connah's Quay's top four batsmen, leaving the visitors stuttering on 4-3.

Andy Clarke (1-9) then took out dangerman Martin Burger and when Lewis trapped opener Thomas Hooson leg before, Connah's Quay were on 7-5.

This became 8-6 when Lewis bowled Dylan Stout and his dismissal of Callum Miller left the total on 10-7.

There was no let up for the beleaguered visitors, who slumped to 11-8 when Lewis bowled Daniel Graham.

The biggest partnership of the innings then arrived, with Joshua Clarke and Mali Auty putting together a stand of 12 to more than double the team's tally.

Clarke was eventually out for 13, being stumped by Joe Clayton off the bowling of Sam Lewis (1-6).

Fittingly, it was left to Alec Lewis to claim the final wicket as he bowled Nick Pratt, leaving Connah's Quay amazingly all out for 24.

The final figures for Lewis were a scarcely believable 9.1-5-8-8!