CORWEN made sure that top flight opponents had to work hard to make progress in a national competition.

After defeating Berriew in the first round of the Nathaniel MG Cup, Danny Jellicoe's side were rewarded with a home tie against JD Cymru Premier outfit Caernarfon Town.

As cricket was scheduled at War Memorial Park, Corwen had to switch the tie to Bala Town's Maes Tegid ground.

Although it was the second weekend in August, the conditions in Bala were akin to a winter’s day, with a strong wind whizzing around the pitch in ever changing directions.

The wind even caused problems for the officials, as the wind slammed the door into the referee's changing rooms shut, causing kick-off to be delayed by 20 minutes!

Corwen couldn't have experienced a worse start and they fell behind in the third minute.

Keeper Dylan Jones came off his line to collect possession, but the ball got caught up in the wind and went over him, allowing Gareth Evans to put it into an unguarded net.

The home side responded with Joe Williams getting within shooting range, but he delayed his shot in an attempt to find a favourable angle, allowing a defender to block his shot.

The Canaries were two goals to the good in the 17th minute.

Some good up play ended when Noah Edwards collected a cross into the area, which he slotted into far corner of the net.

At the other end, a cross from debutant Adam Williams went across the face of the goal towards Tom Williams, but the slightest of touches from the outstretched Gareth Edwards took the ball from the Corwen striker.

A minute later and a cross from Gareth Evans was heading towards Cai Jones, but a last ditch tackle from Ryan Billington prevented Jones from getting a shot away.

After the restart, Adam Williams crossed the ball into the penalty area, where a poor touch from Ryan Williams nearly allowed Joe Williams in, but the defender recovered just in time to prevent a shot.

Sion Bradley looked to put the result safe with a shot from distance, but his effort whistled wide of the post.

Leo Smith also tried his luck with a shot from range, but the ball looped over the bar.

With 10 minutes left to play, Corwen substitute Eilir Edwards collected the ball with his back to goal and hit a shot on the turn from 16 yards.

It was met by a great fingertip save from keeper Alex Ramsay.

The visitors hit Corwen with a quick move in the 83rd minute, which ended when Leo Smith played in Sion Bradley, and his shot forced a decent save from Dylan Jones.

Corwen looked to set up a grandstand finish with five minutes to play when Steve Watkins headed towards goal, but Ramsay showed lightning quick reactions to make a save.

From this, Caernarfon went on the counter attack and they forced Dylan Jones to make a good save with his feet.

The rebound was blasted over the crossbar.

In stoppage time, Joe Williams tried to get a consolation goal for Corwen via a 25-yard free kick, but he sent the ball just over the bar.

Despite the defeat, Danny Jellicoe’s team can take pride and confidence for putting in a good display against higher league opposition, who are likely to be the best side they face this season.