THE best things come to those who wait.

After 39 meetings in the top flight, Bala Town were finally able to celebrate a win against multiple champions The New Saints.

It was a historic night at Maes Tegid on Friday as Bala came from behind to notch a superb and deserved triumph versus the defending champions.

Town's performance was a fantastic one from start to finish, with all of the lads digging deep to put in one of the best displays seen at Maes Tegid for a long time.

The Lakesiders started very well and they could have taken the lead after just three minutes as Chris Venables rattled the crossbar with a header.

Both teams had early opportunities, but nothing of huge significance, with Hudson being forced to clear a Bala effort, while Dean Ebbe heading wide of the far upright at the other end.

It was the visitors who broke the deadlock when Dean Ebbe bundled in a header at the back post after a deep cross from the left found him unmarked.

Before the interval, the visitors started to crank up the pressure, but they weren't able to capitalise on their possession with another goal.

Venables had another massive opportunity to equalise when he hit the crossbar once again with a header late on in the half.

Despite trailing at the break, a superb second half display by the Lakesiders saw them take a deserved victory.

Stu Jones had a powerful header tipped over the crossbar, while Mendes - who delivered a man of the match display - fire over the woodwork.

Bala were back on level terms in the 50th minute.

A corner was headed on by Anthony Stephens into the six-yard box and Venables swung his foot to connect superbly and blast home.

Three minutes later and Town took the lead.

Louis Robles capitalised on a goalmouth scramble to prod the ball in from two yards out.

The Lakesiders were growing in confidence, with Mendes, Steven Leslie and Nathan Burke working extremely hard in midfield to allow Lee Molyneux, Venables and Robles to put pressure on the Saints' back four.

Another effort by Robles was tipped over by Paul Harrison as Bala continued to pose a threat.

The New Saints brought on Adrian Cieslewicz, Whitehouse and Greg Draper as they sought a reply, but the Bala back four was resilient to keep them at bay.

The Saints did go close to levelling things up when Draper put a header against the bar, before Town put the game to bed with a third goal four minutes from time.

A free kick was delivered into the area and Venables put his foot around the ball to smash it into the roof of the net.

It was a worthy win for the Lakesiders, who should be extremely proud of their performance and work rate.

The Lakesiders will certainly be in confident mood when they head to Barry Town United on Bank Holiday Monday.