THE fixtures calculator handed Corwen a tough encounter for their first home league game of the season.

They hosted Prestatyn Town, who are one of the favourites for the JD Cymru North title this season.

There was action straight from the off and after 14 seconds, Prestatyn’s Robert Hughes fired a shot on goal, with home keeper Dylan Jones diving to make a save.

The hosts had a shout for a penalty in the third minute for a foul on Joe Williams, but the referee waved away the claims.

The deadlock was broken in the 25th minute when Jordan Davies supplied a great first touch under pressure from a Corwen defender and an even better finish as he hit a shot into the back of the net on the turn.

The Seasiders weren’t ahead for long, though, and two minutes later a free kick was played into their box, where Joe Williams found the back of the net with a bullet header.

Corwen followed this with a good spell and they created some good opportunities to take the lead, but five minutes from the break the away side were awarded a penalty.

This was heavily disputed by the home side and crowd, who felt the Prestatyn player had dived, however the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Corwen’s hopes of the decision being reversed were raised when the referee consulted with his assistant, but he did not change his mind, and Robert Hughes stepped up to score the spot kick.

Three minutes later and the visitors were awarded another penalty, with Hughes netting once more.

On the brink of half-time, a free kick was whipped into the Prestatyn box, where Steve Watkins got above his marker to get his head to the ball, but he could only send his effort narrowly wide of the far post.

After the break, Tom Williams beat his marker all ends up and sprinted down the wing from his own half, forcing keeper Ryan Woods to come off his line to challenge the Corwen player and win the ball.

The game was effectively settled when Prestatyn were awarded a third penalty, which was again heavily disputed by the hosts.

Robert Hughes found the bottom corner of the net to complete his hat-trick.

Dylan Jones made a save to deny Hughes on the hour, while Corwen looked for a way back into the game when a free kick was played into the danger area, but Ryan Woods got to the loose ball.

It was 5-1 to Prestatyn when Jack Kenny found the back of the Corwen net in the 66th minute.

The visitors made it half-a-dozen goals as Daniel Davies' great shot form distance went just beyond Dylan Jones' reach and into the bottom corner of the net.

The final score flattered the away side slightly, as Corwen were really in the game in the first half and were a match for their visitors, but the award of three penalties really knocked the stuffing out of the home side.