DERBY night honours belonged to Ruthin Town.

Corwen’s second home JD Cymru North game of the season saw them host local rivals Ruthin Town in front of a large crowd at War Memorial Park on Friday night.

Early on in the game, Ruthin’s Llyr Morris ran at Elystan Hughes, but he was unable to get past the centre back, forcing him to shoot wide from the edge of the box.

At the other end, visiting keeper Ryan Goldston dived to tip a shot wide of the Ruthin goal and he was able to gather the ball from the resulting corner.

The visitors were given a golden opportunity to break the deadlock in the 12th minute.

A needless push on Llyr Morris as he was going away from goal resulted in a penalty kick being awarded.

Morris has struggled with penalties over recent months, but he took the spot kick himself and sent keeper Dylan Jones the wrong way to open the scoring.

Corwen went in search of an equaliser when the ball was played into the Ruthin box, where it came off a player and went into the air and over Ryan Goldston, who was grateful that Richard Harvey-Davies was in the right place to clear it off the goal-line.

With 27 minutes on the clock, a poor ball back by a Corwen player was collected by Llyr Morris.

He held it up before playing it back to Wil Owen, who found the net brilliantly as he played the ball across the goal from the edge of the box and into the far corner of the net.

Ten minutes before the break Corwen player Tom Williams ran with the ball down the wing before crossing it into the penalty area.

Joe Williams rose to meet the ball, but he couldn’t get enough on his header to trouble Ryan Goldston.

Five minutes later and Ryan Billington won the aerial battle of the Ryans to beat Goldston to the ball and play it to a teammate, who saw his shot being cleared off the line.

The first attempt at goal in the second half occurred when Wil Owen ran on to the ball, but he could only poke his attempt over the bar.

Just after the hour mark, Corwen sub Dale Davies chased down the ball and shot at goal, but his effort was dealt with by Ryan Goldston.

Tom Williams was bearing down on the Ruthin Town goal and got free of the defence, but he was stopped by Ryan Goldston, who came off his line to challenge for and win the ball.

Llyr Morris looked to put the result beyond doubt as his side were awarded a free kick 25 yards from the Corwen goal, but he could only blast the ball wide of the post.

With a quarter-of-an-hour left, Joe Williams played the ball across the Ruthin box towards Tom Williams, who could only head it wide of the far post.

A minute later and Tom Williams played a dangerous ball into the visitors’ box, but Ryan Goldston tipped it over the bar.

As Corwen continued to look for a route back into the contest, Dale Davies' diving header went narrowly wide of the target.

The final whistle confirmed three points and the local bragging rights for Ruthin... at least until the sides meet again on December 28!