IF there was ever a typical win for Denbigh Town these days, then this victory at Penrhyndeudraeth was just that.

Gutsy and mean spirited defending was on show, in addition to a hard determined fight in midfield and sudden breakaway goals.

This match at Maes Y Parc kicked off in fast, but scrappy, fashion, with Penrhyndeudraeth chasing everything and refusing to allow their visitors to settle on the ball.

A lot of their attacks came down their right hand side, meaning there was a lot of hard work for Denbigh left back Dan Lloyd.

The first chance went to the hosts with a header by Rhys Hughes, which lacked power and was comfortably saved by Antoni Sarnowski.

At the other end, Stu Vernon's long distance shot landed on the roof of the net, but it was not until the 14th minute that the Reds strung any sort of passes together.

Vernon flighted a great cross into the box, which Roberts met and headed high into the goal to make it 1-0.

Disaster struck for Roberts soon afterwards, though, and he was forced off the pitch by what appeared to be a recurring hamstring problem.

Danny Clarke replaced Roberts and he was quickly into the action, hitting the side netting.

Two more clear chances came before the end of the half.

Denbigh's Jake Walker hit a fierce drive that looked a goal all the way until Rob Watson pulled off a fantastic save.

A minute before the break, Rhys Hughes had a chance for an equaliser, but his effort was off target.

Penrhyndeudraeth put their opponents under pressure when the second half got underway.

A lot of the action took place in midfield, with Connor Jones and Sean Jones blocking and tackling, while Sam Tate and Danny Clarke broke out to feed the attack.

During a time when Denbigh dominated, Sam Tate had a good effort on goal with a well struck drive.

Billy Holmes also made a number of top class runs and had a chance, but his effort went high after good work by Stu Vernon.

At the other end, a long-range effort forced a spectacular save from Sarnowski.

Lewis Jenner replaced Sion Jones with a quarter-of-an-hour to go as the game began to get more physical.

It was effectively game over when Denbigh extended their advantage eight minutes from time.

After his initial effort rebounded off the keeper, Jake Walker tucked a strike into the net from the narrowest of angles.