A DEFEAT marked Corwen's testing JD Cymru North trip to tackle Rhyl.

Despite the recent wet weather, the Belle Vue pitch was in magnificent condition.

Early on and the hosts played a deep cross into the Corwen box, where Asa Hamilton got his head to the ball, but couldn’t get enough power into his header and it was gathered by keeper Dylan Jones.

At the other end, Corwen had a shout for a penalty for a challenge on Iorwerth Jones, but play continued and the ball was played out to Scott Evans, whose shot from distance went over the bar.

A few minutes later and the ball dropped nicely for Corwen’s Dale Davies, who took a touch before shooting at goal, but he saw his effort blocked.

On the half-hour mark, Rhyl’s Aaron Hassall when for goal from 30 yards, with his shot pinging narrowly wide of the post.

The hosts were inches away from claiming the lead soon after.

Credit to the referee, who made good use of the advantage rule to allow Rhyl to continue an attack, and the ball went through to Asa Hamilton, whose shot smashed against the crossbar.

It looked as if things were going to remain level going into the interval.

However, Rhyl claimed the lead a minute before the break.

Dylan Jones made a save, with the rebound falling to Samuel Molyneux, who toe-poked the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Corwen were awarded a free kick shortly after the restart, with Scott Evans' set piece finding Matthew Williams and his header went over the bar.

Aaron Hassall looked to double his side’s lead with a shot from within the 18-yard box, but he sent his effort narrowly wide of the post.

The away side were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position and Scott Evans' effort from 25 yards out ended up just wide of the target.

At the other end, Asa Hamilton chased down a long ball and got into shooting range, but he was unable to celebrate as he sent his angled strike into the side netting.

Just before the hour-mark and Rhyl were celebrating once more.

From just inside the area, James Murphy's powerful shot went into the back of the net.

It wasn’t long before the home side put the result beyond doubt.

Two minutes later, the ball was floated into the Corwen box and Thomas Creamer got the slightest of glances to head in goal number three.

The visitors went in search of a consolation goal as Tom Williams floated a shot at the target from 25 yards out and this went just over the crossbar.

The home side then made it four-nil with just over 10 minutes left to play.

Thomas Creamer set up Samuel Molyneux to slot the ball home.

Corwen’s final attempt came when Eilir Edwards went for goal from distance, but he could only send his tame effort straight at keeper Mitchell Jones.