RGC1404 26


A SECOND half performance of pace in attack and steel in defence earned RGC an impressive bonus point win versus Pontypridd at Stadiwm Zip World.

It was the visitors who crossed the line first with a former RGC prop going over for the try.

However, unlike previous games this season, RGC regrouped and they got a hold of the game with some solid phase play.

They were rewarded with a try from Jordan Scott, with Billy McBryde adding the extras.

RGC extended the lead after a superb attacking run from Tom Hughes, who offloaded for McBryde to dive in under the posts.

The fly-half added the conversion.

The breakdown and turnovers where causing havoc for both sides as the game opened up.

Tom Hughes made a couple of useful breaks and he had a good game with ball in hand, while Pontypridd edged back into the game with a penalty from Jones before half-time.

Whatever was said in the RGC changing room at half-time certainly worked and they came out firing on all cylinders.

Efan Jones darted through, but was unlucky with his kick ahead, while Beau Williams and Harri Evans set up some solid phases as the worked towards the Ponty line.

Jordan Scott was also making his presence felt with big carriers.

The third try came after Sam Rogers made some space before passing for Afon Bagshaw to touch down.

George Roberts then secured the all important bonus point as some good footwork allowed him to get beyond tackles to run over the line.

McBryde hit over the conversion.

The pace from the runners was electric and Pontypridd were struggling to deal with this.

As much as the attack impressed, the final 20 minutes was about defence, with Tim Grey, Afon Bagshaw and Harri Evans all standing tall.

RGC went down to 14 men when Rhys Roberts was yellow carded, but it didn’t stop the workload of the defence, who kept the waves of attacks back from the visitors.

Bagshaw made a try saving tackle after he dumped the Pontypridd attacker over the touchline, while Billy McBryde's boot cleared the ball away at key times.