RGC1404 43

THERE were plenty of points as RGC secured a bonus point win during their trip to Llanelli.

It was an open first quarter, with Llanelli taking the lead following a driving maul and Elis Hopkins touched down.

The home side were asking plenty of questions, with Aaron Grabham and Kallum Evans both testing the RGC defence.

However, RGC then grabbed three tries in a blistering 10 minutes.

A loose ball was kicked ahead by Tom Hughes and his chase and another kick got it into the path of Afon Bagshaw, who collected and touched down.

Billy McBryde added the conversion to give the visitors the lead.

The second score was the result of some swift passing, before Harri Evans skipped inside the tackles to combine with Rhys Williams, whose pass to Rhodri King saw the hooker complete a great team try.

Once again, McBryde hit over the extras.

Ioan Hughes' penalty got Scarlets back on the scoreboard, but RGC scrum half Efan Jones extended the lead minutes later, with the boot of Billy McBryde on point for the conversion points.

Llanelli were held up on the line when it looked like they were over, but they didn’t have too long to wait before the grabbed their second try.

After a scrum, the referee awarded a penalty try to close the gap to six points.

RGC looked to extend their advantage, with Will Bryan going close to the whitewash after he charged down a kick, before McBryde again was on form with a penalty before the break.

Much like the opening of the first half, the home side looked bright with ball in hand after the break.

Pressure was building and it was no surprise when Nathan Hart scored a try and Hughes' conversion cut the gap to just two points.

The RGC forwards worked their way towards the line at the other end and the bonus point try was claimed by prop Will Sanderson, with McBryde adding the extras.

RGC again were unable to build on that score and after a couple of loose kicks, the visitors' defence opened up.

Grabham took full advantage to make a break that was finished off by Ryan Davies for Llanelli's bonus point try.

The scoreboard was being made to work and again RGC extended their lead with a try from Rhys Williams.

McBryde smashed over his most difficult kick of the afternoon from the touchline.

Try number six arrived when RGC had numbers wide and an Oscar Lennon pass found Bagshaw, who crossed for his second try of the game.

RGC weren’t making life easy for themselves and they had a nervous last five minutes.

Errors gave the home side some chances and they took full advantage.

An RGC kick was charged down and Jacob Lewis crossed for a try, with Hughes adding the conversion.

There was one last heart in mouth moment for the visitors as Eray Wilson sprinted down the wing, but he knocked the ball on when he was tackled.

It wasn't a top gear performance by RGC, but it was their first away win of the season.

RGC will look to continue the winning run this weekend at home to Cardiff (5.30pm).