SATURDAY saw Dinbych 2nds welcome Flint to Caeau Les Phillips for their latest Division Three (North) match.

The home side were keen to further improve their form against a side ranked fourth in the league.

The weather had not been kind before the game, leading to greasy conditions underfoot.

Despite this, both sides sought to play with endeavour.

Flint started the game playing down the slope on the second team pitch, giving them an advantage in possession and territory.

The pressure led to a string of penalties being conceded by Dinbych and Flint took the lead via a converted try.

Dinbych fought back and a reversal of the penalty awards led to a succession of lineouts, which gave the side a firm footing in their opponents' territory.

This mounting pressure saw Osian Williams make a blindside dash from a ruck, only to be repelled by some stern defence from Flint.

A penalty from the ensuing ruck allowed the visitors the opportunity to clear their lines.

The first half ended with Flint looking to defend their one-try lead.

Dinbych started the second half strongly with the extra momentum from playing downhill allowing their pack to dominate open play.

Mauls from lineouts were particularly effective.

It wasn’t long before the pressure led to kickable penalty and Robyn Cartwright’s boot gave the home side three points.

A mix of intelligent kicking and excellent pressure exerted by the pack gave Dinbych the edge in territory and possession.

Richard Hillier, playing on permit from Abergele, had an excellent game at prop for Dinbych, with powerful runs sapping the strength of Flint’s defence and giving him a well earned try scored under the posts.

This was duly converted by Robyn Cartwright to give Dinbych the lead.

As one would expect from a side sitting higher in the table, Flint made a valiant effort to fight back, leading to a tense final 10 minutes.

In the final minute a penalty awarded to them for a high tackle gave them a tricky decision to make.

This was either to kick for goal for a draw or aim for field position and a lineout and a chance to score a winning try.

Fortunately for the Dinbych players, coaches and spectators chewing their nails watching, Flint elected to kick for goal and the effort went wide of the posts, giving the hosts a hard earned win.

This gives the side three wins in their last five games and a confidence boost ready for a long trip on Saturday.

Dinbych 2nds head south as they travel to Blaenavon, in Gwent, to play Forgeside RFC in the second round of the WRU Shield.