WITH both COBRA and Dinbych striving hard to climb from the foot of the Division One (North) table, neither side lacked attacking enterprise in this key weekend contest.

However, they were unable to create try-scoring opportunities against resolute defending on a damp and dismal afternoon in Meifod, with the game as a result ending in a rare try-less draw.

Both teams conceded numerous penalties, giving Dinbych's Gruff Roberts and COBRA's Wil Worthington the opportunity to show their kicking prowess, with both of them bagging four successful kicks.

COBRA had the lion's share of both territory and possession, mainly attacking through well-supported forward drives and midfield breaks initiated by outside half Wil Worthington.

However, Dinbych's defence was watertight, with the back row of Robin Williams, Sean Davies and Aaron Evans leading the forward effort, whilst centre Mat Hulse showed his crash tackling skills to stop big ball carriers.

COBRA opened the scoring after only three minutes when Worthington kicked his first penalty after Dinbych had offended at a ruck 20 metres out.

Dinbych fought their way back into the game and they drew level five minutes later when full back Gruff Roberts kicked an excellent penalty from 40 metres.

COBRA replied almost immediately when missed first up tackles by Dinbych allowed the hosts to make inroads deep into the 22, where the visitors were forced to concede a penalty for Worthington to easily convert.

The hosts went further ahead with Worthington's third penalty, awarded for Dinbych handling in a scrum.

Dinbych then showed excellent defensive qualities with fierce tackling as they put their bodies on the line to withstand a prolonged period of intense short-range pressure.

They were also indebted to some long-range relieving kicks by Gruff Roberts and outside half Garin Roberts.

Dinbych then finished the half strongly, with Gruff Roberts drawing the visitors level courtesy of two penalties, the second from wide out following a late tackle offence.

Dinbych took the lead for the only time early in the second half after a long counter attack from their own half by wing Aidyn Jones and skipper Tom Seddon.

This led to a ruck inside the COBRA 22, where the hosts conceded a penalty and Gruff Roberts duly kicked it to give his side a 12-9 lead.

COBRA now began to dominate in the scrums, leading to the visitors conceding a succession of penalties.

Dinbych managed hold on to the lead until 10 minutes from the end, when they conceded a penalty at a ruck, which gave Wil Worthington the opportunity to draw the match with his fourth successful kick.