THE Blues are pushing expected WRU League Division One (North) title chasers close this season.

After gaining losing bonus points in defeats at the hands of Pwllheli and Nant Conwy earlier in the campaign, Ruthin did the same in their clash at home to undefeated defending champions Llandudno.

Ruthin and Llandudno played out a tight match at Cae Ddol on Saturday, with the Goats eventually winning 22-16.

The Blues almost went ahead in the first few minutes with both wing Dyfan Humphreys and hooker Danny Miller just short of the try line, but it was Llandudno who claimed the first points on the board with a penalty goal from Ryan Pike after 10 minutes.

Pike slotted over another penalty goal 15 minutes later, only for Blues' full back Nathan Jones to get one back almost straight away to reduce the arrears to three points.

Although both teams were playing open attacking rugby, defences were in the ascendancy and tries were hard to come by.

Both Pike and Jones kicked another penalty goal apiece and the visitors were leading 9-6 when the whistle blew for half-time.

Five minutes into the second half and Ruthin went ahead for the first time courtesy of a try.

Fly half Iestyn Davies was Ruthin's man of the match on the day and he crossed the whitewash, with Nathan Jones adding the conversion.

However, this lead proved to be shortlived as Llandudno charged down a kick in Ruthin’s 22 and Lewis Jones went over the whitewash between the posts, with Pike converting.

The next 20 minutes were a dogged affair with both sides trying to get some space.

The visitors were getting the better of the Blues' lineouts in attacking positions and Ruthin were effectively pushing Llandudno’s attack back in their 22.

Because of this stalemate, there were to be no more tries.

With 10 minutes to go Pike and Jones kicked a penalty goal apiece for their teams.

Then, two minutes before full time and with three points separating the teams, Arthur Lennon kicked a drop goal for Llandudno.

With both teams still battling to the end, the whistle blew with Llandudno winning 22-16 and Ruthin had to be content with a losing bonus point for the second home game in succession.