RGC 24

A SECOND away win of the season was RGC's reward following a solid performance at Bridgend.

The home side went into the game desperate for a good result and they started with a high tempo.

RGC were having to work hard and they managed to contain Bridgend's attacking danger in the opening phases.

Rhys Williams was the attacking outlet for the Gogs, with Efan Jones setting him up for a couple of runs.

Errors were costing RGC possession, though, with loose passes, knock-ons and forward passes giving Bridgend the ball.

Billy McBryde had a chance to get some points on the board with a long-range penalty, but he pushed his attempt wide.

The fly-half didn’t have to wait too long for another attempt and he duly gave his side the lead after a quarter-of-an-hour.

That score settled the away side and took the wind out of Bridgend's sails.

The focus and accuracy in attack began to build in RGC’s play and they started to get a foothold in the match.

They were soon rewarded with a try.

Tom Hughes' dummy pass created a break before he set up full-back Dion Jones for the touchdown.

McBryde hit over the conversion for a 10-point lead.

Both wingers were causing damage, with Rhys Williams running some good attacking lines, while Harri Evans' pace was opening up the defence.

RGC were composed in attack and they built some good phases in the Bridgend half.

The visitors went further ahead when McBryde spotted a gap near the line and his outstretched hand reached over the whitewash to grab a try.

He was successful with the extras.

On a few occasions this season, RGC have looked sluggish in the second half and Bridgend look to test them from the restart.

Although fly-half Ryan Evans looked to get his side back in the game, RGC soaked up the pressure and McBryde managed to get a turnover at a key time to clear the ball.

Minutes later, Efan Jones went close to scoring an opportunist try.

After getting his boot to the loose ball, he raced from halfway to try and collect it, before being stopped inches from the line.

The players showed great composure to regroup and move the ball wide, with Harri Evans going close to scoring.

Bridgend’s Floyd Ellis was yellow carded for an infringement in that play and RGC took full advantage of the extra player when Dan Owen grabbed his side's third try of the game.

Again, McBryde was on point with the conversion.

RGC were looking for the bonus point try, but it was the home side who ended the game with a score via winger Caine Woolerton.