BALA managed to buck the trend over the weekend.

Recent contests between Dolgellau and Bala on the Marian have been settled by a single score, but this time the men from Maes Gwyniad had the edge and they were full value for their bonus point victory.

Dolgellau kicked off with the swirling wind behind them and they had the better of the early exchanges.

Centre Gareth Hughes failed to hold on to a difficult low pass that could have brought some reward after five minutes.

Facing the elements, Bala kept the ball in hand well and outstanding number eight Ilan Rowlands spotted a narrow gap in the home cover to surge through for their opening score after 10 minutes.

Stand-off Luis Prieto converted to give the visitors a seven-point cushion.

Straight from the restart, the Bala back three misjudged the ball extending over the dead ball line, giving Dolgellau a five-metre scrum.

From this, Dolgellau scrum half Lewis Jones switched to the blind side, where right wing James Owen squeezed over in the corner to bring his side back to within two points of Bala.

As the half developed, Dolgellau stand-off Jac Roberts thwarted Bala’s Dochan Roberts, and home wing Rhys Lewis stopped a certain second try to Bala skipper Ilan Rowlands.

The half ended 7-5 in favour of the visitors, with all still to play for.

Despite the wind subsiding a little for the second period, Bala turned the screw early on.

They went further ahead after three minutes of the half when full-back Miall Roberts darted over down the right touchline.

Stand-off Luis Prieto converted superbly from the touchline to make it 14-5.

Five minutes later and Bala’s Iwan Hanmer crashed over from a five-metre scrum.

Again, Prieto was on the money with the conversion.

Bala kept the pressure on and from a quickly taken penalty, skipper Ilan Rowlands capped a fine all round performance with his second try of the game.

Prieto converted from wide out to make the scoreline a comfortable 28-5 in Bala's favour with 25 minutes to go.

Dolgellau’s young side never gave up the stern challenge facing them and they survived despite losing skipper Rhys Roberts and full back Gareth Hughes to yellow cards.