A MID-TABLE battle impressively ended up going in Ruthin Town's favour.

However, despite the final 3-1 outcome, Chris Hardy's side had to battle back from being behind versus Penrhyncoch.

Heading into the game, the team showed one change from the side that agonisingly lost out to Aberystwyth Town seven days earlier, with Gwion Owen coming in for Dan Cox, who was unavailable.

Town started well, with striker Llyr Morris having half a chance after just four minutes, but the keeper saved well.

From Penrhyncoch's first attack, they took the lead on eight minutes.

A long ball caught out centre halves Garmon Hafal and Kevin Evans, with Penrhyncoch striker Steff Davies then finishing well beyond Ryan Goldston from 16 yards out.

That spurred Ruthin on and Gwion Owen was seeing plenty of the ball, with his direct running causing a lot of problems for the visitors' defence.

Chances game and went for Owen, Morris, Wil Owen and Gwydion Ifan, while Osian Davies saw his header clip the crossbar from a right wing cross.

A big moment in the game arrived on 33 minutes when Steff Davies again got in behind Ruthin’s back four, but this time Goldston tipped his effort against the post and Matty Evans was on hand to clear off the line.

Within a few minutes, Ruthin were deservedly level.

Kevin Evans met Ilan Hughes' corner with a bullet header into the top corner of the net.

Ruthin had a chance to claim the lead five minutes shy of the interval.

Llyr Morris got in behind the defence and he was caught by the on-rushing keeper for a penalty to be awarded.

Skipper Ilan Hughes stepped forward to take the spot kick, but his attempt was well saved by the goalkeeper.

Ruthin started the second half positively.

Again, Gwion Owen was at the heart of everything good for Town and the hosts took the lead in the 50th minute.

Owen played a great through ball for Llyr Morris to outstrip the defence and finish well beyond the keeper.

As Ruthin continued to press, Gwydion Ifan saw a chance go begging when his attempted chip over the keeper was cleared by the defence.

On 65 minutes, Ruthin brought on Tom Roberts as a substitute and it was a first appearance of the season for the former TNS player.

He was into the game straight away with his direct running and after a give and go, his shot was easily saved.

Ruthin wrapped up the points with 11 minutes left to play.

A great team move involving Dafydd Evans and Tom Roberts saw a good through ball being played by Ilan Hughes and Morris did the rest to finish off the chance well.

Penrhyncoch did cause a few nervy moments for the hosts at the end and Goldston produced a great save to keep his side's two-goal cushion intact.