AFTER a couple of positive results of late, Corwen went into their home game against Penrhyncoch in confident mood.

The sides were greeted by a strong wind whipping towards the tennis court end of the ground and in the first half, the home side were playing towards the Tudor Jones stand end and against the wind.

Despite the disadvantage of playing against the strong gale, the first real goalscoring opportunity of the game fell to the home side.

Ioz Jones crossed the ball into the path of Joe Williams, whose shot was saved by goalkeeper Leigh Jenkins.

The deadlock was broken in the 10th minute from a Mathew Pemberthy corner.

Jonathon Evans evaded was his marker to head the ball in at the far post and give Penrhyncoch the lead.

Evans looked as if he was going to find the back of the net with a second header, but his effort smacked against the post after half-an-hour.

Corwen had a great opportunity to level before the break as Joe Williams got on to the end of a Tom Williams cross, but he poked his header narrowly wide of the target.

Although they were trailing, Corwen came out for the second half in buoyant mood as they had the advantage of playing into the strong wind.

Three minutes after the restart, Dale Davies' header ended up just wide of the target, but the visitors extended their advantage after an hour.

Steffan Davies ghosted away from his marker to get a toe to a free kick and this was enough to knock the ball into the back of the net.

It was game over when the visitors scored their third goal with 20 minutes left to play.

From a throw in, the ball played around the box before finding its way to the feet of Guto Huws, who curled his strike into the far corner of the net.

The hosts looked for a way back into the game as Tom Williams played the ball into the 18-yard box and a diving header from Dale Davies was sent over the bar.

Corwen did manage to pull a goal back with 10 minutes to play.

Eilir Edwards played a corner into the dangerzone and goalkeeper Leigh Jenkins' punch only helped the ball into the back of the net.

Two minutes later and Scott Evans played a corner into the Penrhyncoch box, which was headed over the bar.

In the closing stages, Corwen heaped pressure on the visitors' defence with a series of corners.

However, they were unable to find another goal to set up a grandstand finish.