BALA TOWN picked up their first three points of the 2020/21 JD Cymru Premier campaign thanks to a late goal which earned them a 2-1 win over Cefn Druids.

After late heartbreak at champions Connah's Quay last week, it was late delight for Colin Caton's side this time around at Maes Tegid on Sunday.

Bala endured a UEFA Europa League exit just three days earlier. The Lakesiders bravely fought Belgian giants Standard Liege, and gave them a good game too, but eventually lost out 2-0.

A performance like that against a team of the stature, coupled with an equally impressive display at the home of the JD Cymru Premier champions a week earlier, must have given Bala great hope and confidence heading into their first home game of the new league season.

And it certainly proved to be a lively affair against Cefn Druids, who were being led by new Portuguese manager Bruno Lopes in his first game in charge.

Bala started off very well, creating several chances on the attack - forward Raul Correia was seeing a lot of the ball but was unable to take his chances.

The constant pressure on The Ancients' goal eventually told when Will Evans scored his first goal for the club just before the half-hour mark.

The midfielder, who arrived from Cardiff Met in the summer, met Andrew Burns' cross into the box and provided a fine side-footed finish past the Druids keeper for 1-0. Evans, who was making his fourth appearance for the club, got his reward for his fine efforts so far.

Although Bala were on top for much of the game, they failed to find a second goal to make things comfortable and were eventually punished for that.

Naim Arsan capitalised on a gap in the Bala defence and hammered home a great strike which went in under Alex Ramsay to make the game all square with 25 minutes to go.

With several chances created but only one taken, Bala were now on the search for a winner but it looked as though time was running out. That was - until the very last few minutes.

A crazy end to the game saw Bala's Antony Kay sent off for dissent following two yellow cards in a matter of seconds.

But any doubts over whether or not Bala could nick the three points with 10 men on the field were almost immediately put to bed, when Nathan Peate popped up to score the winner against his old club.

A ball into the box caused chaos as it pin-balled around the area before falling into the path of the defender, who bundled the ball home for his second goal of the season and secured Bala's first three points.

The drama continued till the very end as, just minutes after his goal, Peate was taken out by Aaron Simpson following a clash of heads, and the latter was dismissed.

The final whistle eventually blew with nearly 100 minutes on the clock as both teams were down to ten men.

But it was Bala's day in this feisty encounter and they will now look to continue their unbeaten run in the league when they travel to Penybont on Sunday.

Colin Caton's men now sit third in the JD Cymru Premier table following their win on Sunday.